Runty Chick with splayed leg.

Oct 29, 2021
Hello, I was trying to do some research because I have a chick with a few problems. A couple weeks ago I took in 2 chicks for my broody hen. One of them is at least half the size of her sibling. One of her legs go straight out to the side and the other is normal. I'm not sure if that is a splayed leg or something different? Her feathers are coming in but underdeveloped compared to the other chick. This tiny chick - I have a named Winnie. Winnie does eat and drink and is very sassy, she gets around despite her little leg. I have tried splinting her but she is constantly removing it no matter how well I think I have attached it. She seems to have a strong will to live so I am determined to help her in any way I can. ❤️ Currently Winnie and her sibling are with my broody hen in the coop. They have their own enclosure, protected from the rest of the flock. Though my broody hen takes care, I do think she would leave her behind if they were not in that enclosure. The full-sized chick follows my hen everywhere, whereas Winnie will sometimes stay put when the other two walk around, always close however. About 5 days ago I decided to bring Winnie in the house. I wanted to give her more one-on-one attention and intervention however she seemed very stressed, after just 2 hours, I relented and took her back out to the coop. She chirped constantly and would not seem to settle. The temperature was appropriate for her age and I had attached a feather duster for her to snuggle up to.
There are no veterinarians in my area within hours, to take her to. I have tried calling different veterinary offices just for some advice but no one will give me any. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am not sure if this is a deficiency, if she is sick, if she is just a runt? Do I continue to try and splint splayed leg? Do I bring her in and try again despite the stress that it causes her to be separated from her sibling and Foster mom?** I live in northern Michigan and it is also late fall. If I bring her in at this point, I am concerned about putting her back outside with a dramatic temperature change. Also to take her away and in the house at this point, when I do reintroduce her to the flock later- she would be alone and most likely picked on. I am new to chickens this spring so I really don't have a lot of knowledge to draw from. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I do feel that Winnie wants to live and unless I felt she was suffering, it is not an option to me to put her down.

Oct 29, 2021
Hello, I was trying to do some research because I have a chick with a few problems. A couple weeks ago I took in 2 chicks for my broody hen. One of them is at least half the size of her sibling. One of her legs go straight out to the side and the other is normal. I'm not sure if that is a splayed leg or something different? Her feathers are coming in but underdeveloped compared to the other chick. This tiny chick - I have a named Winnie. Winnie does eat and drink and is very sassy, she gets around despite her little leg. I have tried splinting her but she is constantly removing it no matter how well I think I have attached it. She seems to have a strong will to live so I am determined to help her in any way I can. ❤️ Currently Winnie and her sibling are with my broody hen in the coop. They have their own enclosure, protected from the rest of the flock. Though my broody hen takes care, I do think she would leave her behind if they were not in that enclosure. The full-sized chick follows my hen everywhere, whereas Winnie will sometimes stay put when the other two walk around, always close however. About 5 days ago I decided to bring Winnie in the house. I wanted to give her more one-on-one attention and intervention however she seemed very stressed, after just 2 hours, I relented and took her back out to the coop. She chirped constantly and would not seem to settle. The temperature was appropriate for her age and I had attached a feather duster for her to snuggle up to.
There are no veterinarians in my area within hours, to take her to. I have tried calling different veterinary offices just for some advice but no one will give me any. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am not sure if this is a deficiency, if she is sick, if she is just a runt? Do I continue to try and splint splayed leg? Do I bring her in and try again despite the stress that it causes her to be separated from her sibling and Foster mom?** I live in northern Michigan and it is also late fall. If I bring her in at this point, I am concerned about putting her back outside with a dramatic temperature change. Also to take her away and in the house at this point, when I do reintroduce her to the flock later- she would be alone and most likely picked on. I am new to chickens this spring so I really don't have a lot of knowledge to draw from. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I do feel that Winnie wants to live and unless I felt she was suffering, it is not an option to me to put her down.
I forgot to say, Winnie is 27 days old and is a bantam mix.

ChookieG

Crowing
Feb 17, 2021
New South Wales, Australia
Hi there sorry to hear about your lame chick. If the chick has acquired the leg injury for more than 5 days it will be very difficult for it to recover from it. Nobody likes to say this but you may have to euthanize it as it's unlikely to make a full recover and have a full and meaningful life if the injury has been sustained for a long period of time.

Top Bottom