Ruptered Egg

Corgiman

Hatching
6 Years
May 23, 2013
For the past couple of days I noticed that my Australorp hen was acting kinda funny. She waould stand away from the rest of my little flock. Tonight I noticed that she had a clear liquid coming out of her vent. I checked the forums bout ruptured eggs. I brought herin to the house and placed her in a tub of warm water. After a few minutes in the warm water she relaxed and sat down in the water. I checked her vent and noticed a small bulb coming out. After a few more minutes in the water I was able to pull it clear of her vent. It looked like an egg with out the shell.

my question is this. Is it likely that the shell will pass on its own? She seemed to be better as soon as I put her with the rest of the girls. She started eating and scratching around the coop and was the first one to go to roost. Is this going to be a reoccurring problem?

That would really depend on the egg. Some eggs are shell-less, so if there's no sign of the shell, it could be that the egg couldn't come out because it had no shell. If there's signs of the shell still being in her, then I'd try to get the shell out, as it could cause problems the next time she tries to lay an egg (I ended up losing a hen who couldn't seem to lay an egg properly... They kept getting stuck :/) If you don't see any signs of the shell, then I'd wait until she lays another egg, and see if it happens again...

Thanks for the reply. She seems much better today. She is eating again and running around the yard like she used too. No egg today so we are going to be keeping a close eye on her.

Glad to hear she seems to be doing better! I hope that one egg is the end of your problems!

Back
Top Bottom