Ruptured yolk sac wtd?

leeandtina

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Eastern PA
We have a chick who was hatching and when it came out it had a huge yolk sac attached and laid on its side. It acted like it was trying to get up and of course the one other chick that had hatched came over. Between the two somehow in a matter of seconds my daughter said, mom! its yolk popped and theres some blood. what do we do? It is still alive but now is very slow and just laying there. Every once and awhile it tried to stand but not for a bit now. My daughter just said its breathing is very slow. I am thinking this little one isn't going to make it
hit.gif
Any suggestions?

Hi! I'm very sorry to say that if the yolk sac bursts before it can be absorbed, the chick has very little chance of surviving.
I don't think there is anything you can do. It will most likely expire soon (if it hasn't already). Must be especially hard with a child watching.
Good luck with the rest of the hatch!
Lisa

thank you for replying. the little one is still hanging in there but it is definitely weak still. my dd thought of giving it some electrolytes and wondered if that would help. i wasn't sure. i know after they come out of the incubator i've read that people give something to them maybe like that to help give them energy. thoughts on that if this one keeps hanging in there? it is a bit hard w/the younger boys watching. my oldest ds is 16 and my dd is almost 15 then the 3 younger boys are 9, 6 and 2. we kind of kept that side of the incubator from them as much as possible. but did tell them that she was sick and might not make it. they stop by and say go fin-e-us!

You can use cornstarch or flour to try to dry up the open wound so it doesn't bleed anymore. Then dip it's beak in sugar water for extra energy. The odds are low though. If it does improve enough you'll want to get food in to it asap. Mix chick starter in to warm water to make a mash and wipe it across the bottom of it's beak to try to get it to open.

Back
Top Bottom