Rural King Cinnamon Queens

Gmr1089

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
The rural king crosses are supposed to be sex linked, but I'm seeing reddening combs on a couple. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240523_080759.jpg
    20240523_080759.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240523_081304.jpg
    20240523_081304.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240523_080752.jpg
    20240523_080752.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240523_080648.jpg
    20240523_080648.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240523_080545.jpg
    20240523_080545.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 8
The rural king crosses are supposed to be sex linked, but I'm seeing reddening combs on a couple. Thoughts?
I actually have these they are very friendly one has blue egg one pink one brown so that means there is aricana prob spelled wrong lol in the mix I got them as production layers and they are super friendly and healthy in my opinion

How old are they?

I see why you are concerned. They have the correct feather colors to be sex linked females, but some of those combs look a bit suspicious.

These are not sexlink males, but they could be a mix of some males and some females of a different kind of chicken, accidentally mislabeled at the store. Or they could be the sexlink pullets you thought you were buying, with some combs developing a bit faster than usual.

I'm not quite sure either way, but I'd be curious to see updated photos in a week or two. Sometimes a little more time makes the answer very obvious.

Last edited:
I actually have these they are very friendly one has blue egg one pink one brown so that means there is aricana prob spelled wrong lol in the mix I got them as production layers and they are super friendly and healthy in my opinion
Oh wow! That would be a total bummer if they weren't truly RIR/SLW as I really was hoping for a sex linked cross 😅
How old are they?

I see why you are concerned. They have the correct feather colors to be sex linked females, but some of those combs look a bit suspicious.

These are not sexlink males, but they could be a mix of some males and some females of a different kind of chicken, accidentally mislabeled at the store. Or they could be sexlink pullets you thought you were buying, with some combs developing a bit faster than usual.

I'm not quite sure either way, but I'd be curious to see updated photos in a week or two. Sometimes a little more time makes the answer very obvious.
They are 5ish weeks old I believe. I had my doubts that they were cinnamon queens since they started off as brown chipmunks, but they are turning red so maybe they were in the right bin after all! I am trying not to overthink it, but I haven't had chickens in over a year and these four are my first dive back in. I'd really like to have a nice flock of four pullets 🤞 first picture is when I brought them home (out of the older chick bins) second is this week

Attachments

• 20240511_195340.jpg
    20240511_195340.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240521_082211.jpg
    20240521_082211.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 5
They are 5ish weeks old I believe.
The amount of comb, and redness, are definitely a bit concerning at that age. But I would keep watching them for a bit longer, to see how they develop. Sometimes pullets develop a scary amount of comb and then stay right at the "maybe" level for long enough to drive everyone crazy.

If they are cockerels, those combs will probably become much more obvious over the next few weeks.

That would be a total bummer if they weren't truly RIR/SLW as I really was hoping for a sex linked cross
I had my doubts that they were cinnamon queens since they started off as brown chipmunks, but they are turning red so maybe they were in the right bin after all!
I notice rose combs in the pictures, which makes it much more likely that your chicks have some Wyandotte in them. Many of the common red breeds or mixes have single combs.

I think they’re pullets :) our CQs have rose combs and also reddened up early. And they’re definitely all full grown hens now! I believe Hoovers has a CQ mix that includes Wynodette in them. They also started off looking like chipmunks, we called it their racing stripes.
IMG_0870.jpeg
IMG_0805.jpeg
IMG_0807.jpeg

The amount of comb, and redness, are definitely a bit concerning at that age. But I would keep watching them for a bit longer, to see how they develop. Sometimes pullets develop a scary amount of comb and then stay right at the "maybe" level for long enough to drive everyone crazy.

If they are cockerels, those combs will probably become much more obvious over the next few weeks.

I notice rose combs in the pictures, which makes it much more likely that your chicks have some Wyandotte in them. Many of the common red breeds or mixes have single combs.
Yes 3 out of the 4 have rose combs and they are *supposed* to be a SLW/RIR cross. I'm hoping they're all girls 🤞

I think they’re pullets :) our CQs have rose combs and also reddened up early. And they’re definitely all full grown hens now! I believe Hoovers has a CQ mix that includes Wynodette in them. They also started off looking like chipmunks, we called it their racing stripes.View attachment 3843033View attachment 3843034View attachment 3843035
Oh my gosh what a relief! These all look the same as mine so I'm going to just keep the faith that I'm not going to end up with an awful crowing surprise!

My kids begged me to start with chicks this time and I begrudgingly agreed. All I want is 4 pullets and I'm so worried about having to replace a cockerel or two in a couple of months 😅

Back
Top Bottom