Rushing chickens

dingosrun

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 24, 2014
the kids go in to feed the chickens and the chickens rave to get the food but after they get the food the chickens start to chase the kids looking for more how do I stop this as it scares the kids as they think they be pecked

welcome-byc.gif

How old are the kids? Do the chickens have regular chicken feed available to them at all times?
Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on cafarmgirl's question. Very young children with food items in their hands can be overwhelmed by a flock of hungry chicken. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock (and your children). :eek:)

If the children are small have them feed the birds by throwing over the fence or through it. If they are larger children - as the food/ treats are running low- they can back away to the entrance. Then have them throw the last of the feed as far from them as they can and exit before the birds notice it is all gone.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
!
This may be less of a problem if feed is available to the chickens at all times. My chickens also tend to do this (especially if they think I have more food) but I am a lot bigger than children, so just be there to supervise and make sure the chickens don't cause injury.

Back
Top Bottom