Russian Orloffs vs Gold Spangled Hamburgs

I have 4 Russian Orloff chicks right now who are running all over my garden! They are sweet and friendly! Firebird is the Roo and Eagle might be a Roo. Tanya and Lara are hens

Yep, the chicks I bought were definitely Russian Orloffs and not spangled hamburgs. Now that they are about 6 weeks old it's pretty obvious that the feedstore had them labeled incorrectly.

I was bummed out at first, but we've grown pretty attached to them and they are turning out quite pretty. We've named them Sonia and Sasha, though we don't know if they are hens or roosters yet. we bought them from a bin labeled "Gold Spangled Hamburg Pullets." The breed part was obviously wrong, but hopefully they are at least pullets.

I don't know how to tell the sex with this breed...they don't seem to have any comb at all, just a tiny flat spot on the forehead with no feathers.

For a while I wasn't sure what color they were going to be either because the spangled Orloffs that I saw in pics had lots of white on them, but mine did not have any white feathers at all. They were just a pretty dark mahogany color with darker markings here and there. Now they are finally starting to get the white splotches, so I guess they are the spangled color.

Congrats! The spangled is about the only variety you can find in the US anymore, they will typically add a little more white after each moult. They have strawberry combs, which on the rooster will eventually look about like a strawberry cut in half, and you will notice the roosters turning red and pullet will still be pale pink.

These may help
flock3.jpg

Pullet

flock4.jpg

Cockerel

flock2.jpg

Cockerel

Wow! Those are really gorgeous!

The two I have have no comb at all...completely flat right now. I guess it will be a while before I can tell whether they will be girls or boys.

One is a really deep, rich reddish brown (we named that one Sonia) and still has very little white so far. The other is a more washed-out, lighter brown (that's Sasha).

I just got two trios via Ed (92Caddy). He knows a guy in Ohio that had to downsize-- to MY advantage! Now these, and the pair I have, plus my new chicks (thanks again, Fowlafoot!) YIPPEE!
wee.gif
I should have a good start for spring.

You won't be dissappointed with the Orlys.

I am in love with my unexpected Orloffs!

At first I was upset because they weren't what I thought I bought and I didn't know much about them. Then I decided it was kind of cool because they look really neat when they are grown and they are rare.

Now, though, I am utterly smitten! My two are turning out to be so beautiful and sweet!

When I go out and sit in the run in the evening to spend time with my chicks, the darker Orloff, Sonia, will come running and jump in my lap to be cuddled. She likes to snuggle into the crook of my arm like a baby and stretch her neck our to dangle over my elbow. Then she closes her eyes and goes to sleep while I stroke her feathers. Aaaaaawwww!
smile.png

The other one, Sasha, is more shy, but will hop of to perch on my leg and sit there for petting from time to time as well.

wink.png
I knew you'd end up loving them, they are very special. Had any luck determining gender? I noticed they are both girl names. If you have a chance I'd love to see pics
smile.png

Don't have Orloffs, but do love love love my Hamburgs.

Hey, Bavaria, that pic you sent from the German site was like the absolute twin of a bird of mine, General Tso.

are there other Deutschlanders on this site? Welcome!

Quote:
Yeah, they are my little sweethearts!

I actually have no idea about the gender. They are about 8 wks old now and have grown in a lot of their feathers, but there is nothing at all where the comb should be. I am hoping this means they are girls (though I would not mind getting one girl and one boy).

They are also finally starting to grow in their white feathers!

We are in the middle of a race to get our house ready to sell and making an offer on a new place out in the country (5 acres, YAY!) so it might take me a little bit but I will try to get some pics up on here. Maybe you can take a look and weigh in on whether they look like girls or boys.

Hi Cyanne,
Are you still here and how are your Russian Orloffs?
I think I might want to get some and was wondering how yours turned out?
Also a year later hope your new place is great!

Back
Top Bottom