Russian Orloffs

Hello Everyone!
I am new to Orloffs. I was surprised with hatching eggs from my boyfriend (from where I still don't know, they will arrive next week) as well as 4 week old chicks from Ideal (locally bought by someone else). Unfortunately, my boyfriend does not know an Orloff from a Toulouse :)

I have low hopes for the 8 chicks from Ideal. I know Curt Flannery had sold some stock to them, but that is long since diluted, and I have heard many horror stories! Mine seen to have a decent stance, nice flat combs, yellow legs, and muffs developing. I know most, is not all, will not be keepers, but I don't have the heart to tell the boyfriend right now!

The hatching eggs-I am nervous. Hopefully it will be a good surprise! :) Regardless, I had planned to get some hatching eggs from Rare Feathers and Ivy from NC!

Well, one thing I would like to say is that these chicks from Ideal are so incredibly friendly. After no handling the first 3 weeks, the are totally relaxed with people. It is almost eerie...Anyone else have overly friendly orloffs?

Hello Everyone!
I am new to Orloffs. I was surprised with hatching eggs from my boyfriend (from where I still don't know, they will arrive next week) as well as 4 week old chicks from Ideal (locally bought by someone else). Unfortunately, my boyfriend does not know an Orloff from a Toulouse :)

I have low hopes for the 8 chicks from Ideal. I know Curt Flannery had sold some stock to them, but that is long since diluted, and I have heard many horror stories! Mine seen to have a decent stance, nice flat combs, yellow legs, and muffs developing. I know most, is not all, will not be keepers, but I don't have the heart to tell the boyfriend right now!

The hatching eggs-I am nervous. Hopefully it will be a good surprise! :) Regardless, I had planned to get some hatching eggs from Rare Feathers and Ivy from NC!

Well, one thing I would like to say is that these chicks from Ideal are so incredibly friendly. After no handling the first 3 weeks, the are totally relaxed with people. It is almost eerie...Anyone else have overly friendly orloffs?

You are going to love this breed! They are naturally friendly and curious birds. I am always tripping over mine, they are so underfoot. Compared to the other breeds I have, their personality is my favorite.

I actually don't mind my Orloffs from Ideal - although only about 25% were worth keeping. Two had no beards, and one had a pea comb. I think one or two might have had a straight comb - I forget though!

Out of 12-15 or so pullets I ended up with 4 girls that I kept. My best looking was killed by a hawk, so I am down to 3 girls and a boy. The girls are more brown in color vs. red (of course the one that was killed was very red and had the brightest yellow legs), and they don't have a whole lot of spanging, but otherwise I do like them.

I know they aren't perfect - I did recently get some chicks from desertmarcy for nicer quality birds. But if you don't mind growing out extras and selling off the culls, I don't think it's a terrible start.

I actually don't mind my Orloffs from Ideal - although only about 25% were worth keeping. Two had no beards, and one had a pea comb. I think one or two might have had a straight comb - I forget though!

Out of 12-15 or so pullets I ended up with 4 girls that I kept. My best looking was killed by a hawk, so I am down to 3 girls and a boy. The girls are more brown in color vs. red (of course the one that was killed was very red and had the brightest yellow legs), and they don't have a whole lot of spanging, but otherwise I do like them.

I know they aren't perfect - I did recently get some chicks from desertmarcy for nicer quality birds. But if you don't mind growing out extras and selling off the culls, I don't think it's a terrible start.
I feel a little better. :) Honestly, from what I read I was worried. I imagine the color will be more brown, but at least the combs, legs, and stance aren't so bad! I plan on growing them until I can see more about the quality, then selling/culling as needed. Thanks for the reassurance!

You are going to love this breed! They are naturally friendly and curious birds. I am always tripping over mine, they are so underfoot. Compared to the other breeds I have, their personality is my favorite.
It is hysterical! They are so content to be near people. So unlike my flock of hatchery barred rocks and EE! I agree, I think I am definitely falling in love with the breed!

I just recently got some russian orloffs and I absolutely love them. They are so sweet and gentle, and their looks are stunning, completely different than any other chicken. Here are some pics of them.

Hey, fellow Orloff-lovers.

A while ago I posted some pics of an Orloff rooster I got from Ideal Poultry. He seemed of fair type for a hatchery bird, and I heard somewhere that Ideal's Orloffs are actually descended from some exhibition stock Orloffs.

Can anyone confirm this rumor, or is there any other way I can know that Ideal's Orloffs are fairly to the standard? One good thing I noticed about the two Orloffs I acquired from Ideal is that they had yellow legs instead of the normal incorrect white legs, but I realize that that doesn't mean their birds are purebred.

Also, is anybody here from NC who is willing to sell some Orloffs for a good price? I want to order from Ideal so I can order in bulk and cull out the worst, but if I can get the best first and know where they came from, I'd prefer that.

God bless,
~Gresh~

Hi Gresh, good to see you. We talked what seems like a long time ago. I have a little bit of a waiting list on hatching eggs at the moment, but since you are in NC (and kinda nearby if I remember) I'd certainly be able to help you out once I fulfill my previous obligations.
And yes, Ideals originated from C. Flannery who imported birds in the '80's. What they once were and are now are 2 different things, but they appear to be pretty decent from what I have seen on here. I think Orloffs are a breed that, here in the US, needs work as a whole, but we are getting there.
Take care
Ivy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom