Russian Orloffs

Pics
Did you butcher any of your extra roos? I'm wondering if there's any meat on those guys at all? My Welp pullets from an August hatch were decent mid-size birds, but I didn't get any cockerels.

I miss my Orloffs more than all my other birds put together. I keep going back and looking at their pictures.
sad.png

Has anyone tried putting a Malay or similar type bird over some hens to regain that imposing size and upright type that many seem to be rather lacking? It seems this has been talked about before, but I would love to see pictures. I don't think a Malay would survive up here. I couldn't even get my production Cornish Games to make it, those hard feathers do them no favors in this climate.

I'm going to start setting eggs in a couple weeks- as soon as the new incubator gets here. After all the predator problems I had over the winter, I am left with on nice pair. Not many eggs, but I put a black ameraucana pullet in with them too for some split for mottled EEs. My roo sure is a sweet guy. I don't even know if I'll have any fertile eggs- but he did finally start crowing after I seperated them.
It's almost hard to believe they have Malay in their backgrounds. Mine are so "domesticated'
tongue.png

I contacted this guy last night (NO, I will not be paying THAT) and gave him Nate's 3rd degree- what breeder did you get them from, what kind of comb, are they to the old US or European standard, blah, blah, blah.....Haven't heard back as of yet. Probably scared him a bit.

http://nwga.craigslist.org/grd/2190756210.html

I
do need more girls though. Where's Shelley been?

Quote:
Wow! I didn't know you didn't have yours any longer!

I did butcher a few that were culled at arounf 4 months old. They were at least as meaty as the other breeds I butchered the same day (Barred rocks, orpingtons, production reds), maybe even a bit more meat. Very good eating!

I may someday cross in malay or another "game" breed to improve the upright stance, but hopeing I don't have to. I have a few roos that have the right look now, and I feel will be of good size, but the hens are not upright at all. I'm going to breed with what I have for a couple of years and see what happens. With three lines of spangled I have lots to work with.

Yes, I had to give them up since we moved to a tiny lot downtown. I might get a couple of them back, or I might order a couple more, but no roos. My breeding plans have to go on hold for the time being, (don't think my neighbors would appreciate the roo) so I'm living vicariously through you all.

Quote:
How far into NC are you? I'm going to be hatching some. Not enough eggs from the one hen to ship them out while they are still fertile, but I plan on selling chicks to anyone interested in keeping the breed going. Every egg I can get before it freezes is going into the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom