Russian Orloffs

Well, this cockerel is getting more and more admiration here. I post on my local state thread as well and who knows. Maybe others will take interest in Orloffs. I can't say that I feel totally honest saying they are dual purpose when mine neither lay lots or are very meaty (not when compared with the orps or marans anyway).
Is everyone off watching football?
Not everyone Ash... I've never watched a ball game in my life and ain't gonna start now.
sickbyc.gif

Our Orloffs aren't "dual purpose" either. Scrawny little things compared to our Reds, Orps and Faverolles. But they are laying machines. I gave a young couple two of our older hens last night (One hen was 3 years old, the other was I think about 5 years old), both are still laying about four or five eggs a week and never stop laying even during molt or the winter months.

Maybe yours will kick into laying gear too soon.

MFB you and I need another thread to talk in. I am trying to get some of the birds you are talking about having and if yours are such good layers then I want some of you stock! I have never been farther south than TN and never meant to. Now I have to rethink that. What else could I possibly want to see down there?? Lots of Orloffs sounds like the only thing.
My two hens from Mr Charlie were laying but aren't due to transition. I think they will again soon though. Its very nice to see the lot of them mixing up on the grass.
That link to the print from earlier of the Orloffs... they all have the bar of dark green/black secondaries and white primaries. None of mine have this. Does anyone elses??

MFB you and I need another thread to talk in. I am trying to get some of the birds you are talking about having and if yours are such good layers then I want some of you stock! I have never been farther south than TN and never meant to. Now I have to rethink that. What else could I possibly want to see down there?? Lots of Orloffs sounds like the only thing.
My two hens from Mr Charlie were laying but aren't due to transition. I think they will again soon though. Its very nice to see the lot of them mixing up on the grass.
That link to the print from earlier of the Orloffs... they all have the bar of dark green/black secondaries and white primaries. None of mine have this. Does anyone elses??
Only have a few minutes before I have to head to the doctor.. but any time you want some hatching eggs Ash, just let me know. I'll be shipping chicks come spring too if my health holds out.

As far as the white primaries... Some of mine have it, but I'm personally trying to breed away from it. I think if we ever get these fowl back in the APA Standard they will have to meet the USA standard Spangled fowl color description and it calls for any "No positive white over 1/2 inch" if I remember right. Don't have time to look it up in my SOP right now, but I'll try and find time later today.

The APA will not let us get far with changing a color pattern the SOP already describes.

Good to know. I didn't. TY. Eggs.... sure. PM me cost n what not.
FWIW... I hope your docs get you straightened out quickly. I like having you in here.

FWIW... I hope your docs get you straightened out quickly. I like having you in here.
x2

Have to agree on the size not being where it needs to be. Mine have been steady layers. They did stop this year for brood and molt... the positive end is that they have been wonderful mothers. We definitely need to work on color as well. One issue is that the term "spangled" is associated with varying color traits with different birds, and if you really get into the color the Orloffs have isn't actually a spangle, it is more of a mottle similar to the mille fleur pattern. We certainly need to work on defining this in my opinion.

*+I want to be sure to breed for temperament as well. They are supposed to be docile as an offset to their predatory look. So far some of mine are jerks and some are nice. I also notice that the deep color is missing in a lot of the ones I see from other sources. And for whatever reasons a lot of them aren't wearing beards! Hopefully that is just a pecking issue because a nice full beard is a must.
NC isn't there some conjecture that the Mille Fleur and Malay were used to create RO?

edited to add a funny moment;
this cockerel from Mr Charlie is right odd. He likes me I think. He follows me all around the yard. I think he must be hungry or something but I do feed him so I don't know why he is so hungry. He followed me across several acres today, way way down where the birds never go. I was headed down to the pond after some beaver cuts to make a gate and he was like a puppy till I went into the tall grass. I kept going and for another 50feet I could see his little raptor like head peering over the grass after me! He was the only bird out on the range today. Everyone else was hiding from the sun and hawks. He is so gawky with his wide body, big feet, long legs and scrawny neck. I think its a teenage infatuation with an older lady.

Last edited:
It is believed that a Malayoid type fowl was used in the creation of the Orloff. I have also read of the belief that Persia was the actual birthplace of the Orloff and it contained a mix of single combed, bearded landfowl and Malayiod gamefowl. I have not read of the Mille Fleur (here I am speaking of D'Uccle) being a part of the creation although it would make sense that somewhere down the line they or D'Anvers were used in the bantams. I have not really looked into the bantams to be honest and the D'uccle I have are much paler gold in color with the red coming from what I believe to be autosomal red. Genetically the color and pattern in an Orloff can be created with a combination of the Columbian gene, the Mahogany gene, and the Mottled gene.

I went back out to work some more on this gate I am building and there he was... waiting at the bottom of the back deck stairs! Stalker!!

Alright NC... its more likely that if a Mille Fleur was used AND it was bantam it was D'Anvers, as they have no feathered shanks, but I was just in Favorelles thread and there is a BEAUTIFUL Mille Fleur Fav in there. I dub it the Fleurelle. The color combo was out of LF salmon and blue I think. They think... go see. Either way I am just noticing that the bodies on mine aren't 'meaty' and if they are going to live on here they better get that way. I read the Persia bit as well. Not sure what birds there are to look at from Persia to give us a clue. I'll put that on the long list....

LOL. I've got some of his birds I hatched out that are very personable. It's really neat.
One thing to consider for the Orloffs is that the cocks should average around 8-9 lbs. They are not designed to grow quickly, but they do mature into larger birds. I would very much like to breed for a size increase and be able to maintain good laying characteristics. I doubt they will ever reach a state to be considered "meat" birds, but I think we can get them to dress out into something worthy of being a "dual purpose" breed. Only time will tell and yes, the long list is getting ever longer.
wink.png

Personable, huh. I went out this morning and this loper followed me around like a puppy. Then, when I turned to leave, he ran up and grabbed my pant leg just like a dog. Its weird. I don't know if I should worry about him being aggressive or not. I feed him so he isn't starving. Personable. Well, if he gets named its going to be Loper. He's right odd to watch running around on those big legs and big feet with that scrawny neck and predatory head.

One hen is back to laying. The other might be hiding them. I think that I might be breeding for size and temperament here. Its a tough call. DH is all grumpy about chickens, saying they are a money losing venture, a black hole and all that because we go through two bags of feed a month. That works out to about 1$ a day to feed them. That isn't too bad. Now if I could just find someone to buy eggs it would be alright. Next year, the meat birds come along, and with luck I might show some Orloffs here. I hope that will stir up some interest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom