Russian Orloffs

Hi Folks,

So, I have finally waded through the 113 pages of this thread—wow!—and can now join the flock as another Russian Orloff breeder wannabe. Until recently, I had little interest in them—due in no small part to the rather awful photos of them in the Ekarius book. But a few weeks ago, I was idly Googling the various breeds on ALBC’s Critical list, and the Orloffs just stole my heart, with their hawk looks and cold hardiness.

Thank you all, for the photos and information you have provided, and for the references that have helped me begin my quest. I did send emails out to Rarefeathers (sorry, do not know her name) and to Erhard Wiehs (Kummer Poultry) but have not received replies yet. Yesterday, I called R.E. Van Blaricome, whose Craigslist ad mentioned that he had Mahoganies but did not expect to have any for sale until next year. I called anyway, to touch base. He got his stock from Erhard (a friend of his) and may be getting more eggs from Erhard soon. He took my name and number, said he’d contact me when he gets in touch with Erhard.

I live in Everson, Washington, up by British Columbia. Van lives an hour south of me, and Erhard lives a couple of hours south of him. And Rarefeathers is about three hours east of me. Those are the ones I know about. If there are any others within several hours/several hundred miles, please let me know.

As for my goals: type, temperament, and size, going for the APA standard and the lovely birds being shown currently in the UK and Germany. Hubby prefers the Mahogany, I like all the colors, so I’d be happy to start with whatever Standard size birds I can get.

Thanks for any leads or advice you can provide. I will be checking in to this thread, or you can PM me, or email me at [email protected] .

All My Best,
Dianne
Joyheart Farm
Everson, Washington

(Sicilian Buttercups, Japanese Buttercup mutts, Silkies, Silver Fox Rabbits, and Tibetan Yaks. Yes, Yaks: Ride, Pack Pull, Meat, Milk, Wool, Pet, Poop, Bull—Once you try Yak, you’ll never go back!)

I wish I could get out for a dollar a day on feed Ash! I can't remember ever not feeding at least a bag a day here, usually more.
barnie.gif

And to Skydancer...
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the Russian Orloff thread!

Oh yes, Falconers are definitely welcome here... just not the Falcons who want to eat my birds, like the Harrier who took my SQ Polish cockerel this week. That got me rather upset.

I have about 35 birds so I can get by on the dollar a day, which means that with the two doz eggs I get right now due to molt, number of babies and boys and four broodies, I am just breaking even. When I was getting nearly a dozen a day they were 'making me money.' If I only I had a few more customers. If things aren't easy for DH he quits them. He's a football watcher too lol Just kidding. The birds are my thing and he just humors me.

Does anyone have the last known published standard for RO for us to work from? I can't recall what year they went out of APA recognition but it would be nice have that 'latest' terminology to work from in here. NC? Would that be you??

Last edited:
Had to bring the new cockerel in. He wasn't doing well at all. Turns out he is just skin and bones. I wormed him and soaked a leg that was giving him some trouble. He is up and walking and eating and stinking up my library. I have to get weight on him fast for winter. Suggestions?

How many folks here are interested in raising for the APA certification? I would like to get down and dirty on the list of things I need to do and how many birds I need personally to produce that meet standards in order to be helpful.

Ashandvine, I know you posted this a while back, but I was out of town for almost 3 weeks and still getting caught up. I am interested in raising for the APA certification, but I'm such a newbie at showing birds--having only shown once at a small, local show--that I do not even know what that entails. Our local poultry club is having a small yard show in October and I plan to bring a few Orloffs to that, then their bigger show is in November, I hope to also bring some to that. Will see what happens. I just want people to know about this beautiful breed.

Had to bring the new cockerel in. He wasn't doing well at all. Turns out he is just skin and bones. I wormed him and soaked a leg that was giving him some trouble. He is up and walking and eating and stinking up my library. I have to get weight on him fast for winter. Suggestions?
I'd give him some good high protein feed--22% or more. Give him supplements that he can't resist, so he'll eat more, I'm thinking chopped hard boiled eggs--my birds go nuts over that. I hope he gets better for you.

I'd give him some good high protein feed--22% or more. Give him supplements that he can't resist, so he'll eat more, I'm thinking chopped hard boiled eggs--my birds go nuts over that. I hope he gets better for you.

Great advice - mine (no ROs yet, but wishing ...) turn themselves inside out for meal worms, another high protein snack. Fresh greens usually turn them on as well, and tomatoes.

Does anyone have the last known published standard for RO for us to work from? I can't recall what year they went out of APA recognition but it would be nice have that 'latest' terminology to work from in here. NC? Would that be you??
It took me a while to find it Ash, but I knew I had it here somewhere;

Russians (the old APA standard)

Disqualifications

Combs other than rose; decidedly wry tails; crooked backs; pure white in any part of the plumage extending over one-half of an inch, or two or more feathers tipped or edged with positive white.

Standard Weights

Cock: 8 1/2 lbs
Cockerel: 7 1/2 lbs
Hen: 6 1/2 lbs
Pullet: 5 1/2 lbs

The Male

HEAD: Of good size and well formed:
BEAK: short, stout, well curved, and black or dark horn color
EYES, full, prominent, bright, bay or dark bay
FACE, red

COMB: Rose, narrow at the rear, without spike, and bright red.

WATTLES, EAR-LOBES AND BEARD:
WATTLES: long, pendant, well rounded, and bright red
EAR-LOBES: of medium size and bright red
BEARD: full, heavy under the beak, extending around in a curve to the back of the eyes

NECK: Of medium length, well arched, with hackle descending well upon the shoulders

BACK: Broad and tapering to the tail
SADDLE FEATHERS: abundant

BREAST: Round and full

BODY AND FLUFF:
BODY: broad and compact
FLUFF: moderately full

WINGS: Of medium size and well folded

TAIL: Of medium size, carried in an erect position
SICKLE FEATHERS: rather short

LEGS AND TOES:
THIGHS: of medium length and strong
SHANKS: of medium length, strong, and in color dark lead
TOES: the same as shanks in color

COLOR OF PLUMAGE: Green, glossy black throughout, except fluff and primaries and secondaries of the wings, which are black.

The Female

HEAD: Of medium size and well formed
BEAK: short, stout, well curved, and black or dark horn color
EYES: full, prominent, bright, bay or dark bay
FACE, red

COMB: Rose, similar to that of the male, but smaller, and bright red

WATTLES, EAR-LOBES AND BEARD:
WATTLES: small, well rounded, and bright red
EAR-LOBES: of medium size and bright red
BEARD: full on the throat, and extending around in a curve to the hackle

NECK: Of medium length, slightly arched, with full hackle

BACK: Moderately broad, and tapering to the tail

BREAST: Round and full

BODY AND FLUFF:
BODY: rather broad and compact
FLUFF: moderately full

WINGS: Of medium size and well folded

TAIL: Of medium size and moderately erect

LEGS AND TOES:
THIGHS: of medium length and strong
SHANKS: of medium length, strong, and in color dark lead
TOES: the same as shanks in color

COLOR OF PLUMAGE: Glossy black, with more or less green lustre, throughout, except fluff and primaries and secondaries of the wings, which are black.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orloffs/Orl_CraigR.html

History
The Orloff has never been popular in this country, possibly because the standard is for a gloomy and vindictive expression. However they are a good hardy breed that sometimes take to laying in the winter months which makes them very useful. Although they are officially classed as originating from Russia there is much to indicate they originated in Persia (Iran) in the Gilan Province area where it was known as the Chilianskaia, and were then developed in Russia and named after Count Orloff Techmanski before coming to Britain in the 1920's. Probable breeds used in their makeup include the Malay or Belgian game and a bearded European Spangled breed.
Purpose-Dual
Classification-Heavy / Rare
Origin-Russia
Egg Color-Tinted
Egg Numbers-160 per annum

yesss.gif
MFB! You are awesome, thank you. I have copied this to my file on RO.

DesertMarcy, I too am pretty new to the digs of Serious Poultry Keeping but I figure the faster I get my manure in a pile the faster I can get it composted and into the garden. Hardboiled eggs. I had thought about scrambling a few so that is good advice. I do crush up some very high quality cat food from when I had a kitty and put that in with their regular feed, which is a 22 right now I think. I have been told I could find a better feed if I went to show quality feed but I don't know yet where to get that. I have looked at the percentages and I think this is topping out what I can but the idea of fermenting it has been brought up and I am going to give it a go. My birds range nearly everyday. They are getting low on bugs as we have had a few nights in the 40s. I keep the late summer sale six packs of swiss chard growing in the window through winter so that I have fresh greens for me and them. This cockerel is confined so he isn't moving around too much and he is warmer so he isn't using calories to keep warm. More crappy news; I lost that beautiful RO chick that woman gave me. My son didn't close the door well in the cottage and they got out and the Harrier came again and had it for lunch. That bird was so nice! The woman might give me one of her cockerels though and if she does I am very excited to show it off. I will also try for those pictures of her birds which I offered earlier. I have been sick this past week and busy preparing for winter the rest so I haven't been back. Hope you are all well though.

Back
Top Bottom