Rusty ol' horse trailer turned coop (picture heavy)

Made the feeder today. We will have 12-15 chickens living in here... and I'm constantly filling feeders, so I searched for a container that would hold quite a bit of feed. I went with a design I saw on BYC. With a using a 3" hole saw and cutting down an end of one of these 3" PVC elbows, the fit was so perfect I didn't have to use any caulk.

Here is the inside. The pipes sit about 1" off the bottom, and are just big enough for them to comfortably fit their head inside but they won't be able to flip the food out. I've got 1 pipe in each side for a total of 4. It sits under the poop board so they won't be getting on top of it, and I can easily slide it out the back doors when it needs refilling.

Finished building the roost and poop board. I'll be putting a mix of sand and Sweet PDZ in here (as well as sand on the coop floor). The bottom of the board is some sort of waterproof shower type wall board that my FIL had lying around. I swear...the treasures I find up in his shop and scrap pile!!! I've been able to repurpose so much for this project because he never gets rid of anything!

I wanted to use natural branches, so hubby was nice enough to head out into the veeeeery overgrown 20+ year old Christmas trees and find two that would work. The whole thing is sitting on L brackets screwed into the wall, as I wanted the roost and board to be easily removable if need be.

I scrounged up a piece of old vinyl window blind, cut it in half, screwed it down across the opening to act as a barrier board for keeping the sand in and away from the back door hinges.

I think I won't use the back doors (bottom half) too often unless I need to add bedding, do a clean out, fill the feeder, etc because they are so. stinkin'. heavy. At one time someone converted them from attaching on the sides to being hinged on the bottom, and bolting down heavy stall matting to them to make ramps. The easier door to enter into is the side man door.

I started screening off the manger area with hardware cloth and am taking some time to figure out how I want to make a door into this section that I can access from the inside ( it does have two working doors on the outside but I think an inside door would be handy too.

The manger area is going to serve as a chicken hospital place, broody hen area, and baby chick brooder as needed.

I can't add the flooring to the manger or tack area (where feed and supplies will be stored) until my FIL and husband repair the rusted through holes that line the front seam. This is where all the water damage seems to have been on this trailer. Their plan is to weld a "3 strip of sheet metal over as a patch, so due to the heat involved in that it wouldn't be smart to install wood and vinyl products in that area yet! This welding will be done shortly.

Until then I'll focus on the waterer, and platform/ramps for just inside the automatic door, as it is off the floor quite a ways.

Baby steps, baby steps!

Ramp system to get up to roost and down to floor for those chickens (or smaller chicks) that prefer to stroll and not leap.

And just for fun, a picture of a new gal destined to live in this coop that I took in today - she's bedraggled and haggard after living on a farm with a very aggressive rooster and super pecky fellow hens. She's meeting one if my pretty ladies (who is roaming our lawn while she recovers from Bumblefoot surgery) the first time. With some time, care and feather re-growth, "America" will be a pretty girl too.

IT. IS. DONE!

The finishing touches:
My husband built the water system for me after I explained what I was wanting. It's a good thing...I'm sure my attempt would have leaked like a waterfall. The water can be accessed from outside and inside. Storage is a 25 gallon food safe barrel with screw top lid.

Testing it all out:

The tack compartment floor is done and will fit all the food, treats, chicken first aid kit, nest box shavings, and other chicken crap with no problem.

This is the little removable door made to cover the area reserved as a brooder and/or chicken hospital.

And here she comes! Hubby is towing the green giant down from the shop to the pasture, right next to my garden.

I found 170' of electric netting on Craigslist for a steal and purchased a charger that is AC or DC. The trailer will just sit in the middle of it all.

I dug up this old laundry basket from the depths of the shop, bolted it onto a rolling trolley thing, and that houses the battery and charger from the elements. I made a rope handle that I can pull it all around with.

I'm so glad it is all done ! I love it! The chickens spent their first night in it last night and are getting the hang of their new digs.

Great job! Your chickens should be very happy.

One suggestion. I would put up some kind of shade for them.

Thanks! They actually have shade from about 2 PM on, as there are tall trees that I've set them up next to which you can't see in the picture. They also like to hang out under the trailer where I imagine it is cool.

Back
Top Bottom