Ruth has a secret - SHE'S SITTING!!!!

You may want to put some food & water in that area once she goes truly broody. And I would leave the nest where its at. She will want the peace & quite - just my opinion - not experienced.....

Hey Ruth,

She will eventually go broody.
As soon as she does put good eggs under her.
Go to a local farmer and ask for eggs.
A good way to find a farmer with chickens is ask at your local feed store
OR just ask your mail man that is what I did..
Then I called him and said when I am ready for fresh fertile eggs straight from the nestcan I come get some.
He was very cand and said yes... 3 weeks later babies
:)

Thanks Fluffy - that's the plan. I ordered a dozen Serama eggs from Frank and a mixed dozen of Barred Rock and Ameracauna from Lisa. I bought a bator in case she doesn't go broody and start sitting but if she does, I'll have eggs ready to put under her. Frank's eggs will probably be here tomorrow and Lisa's the next day. This is very exciting.

She's sitting - she's sitting!!! Well, at lest so far today she hasn't gotten off nest. Last count, she had laid 12 eggs. Of course we have no rooster but Plan B was to order some fertile eggs to put inder her in case she did start to sit. I've ordered a dozen Serama eggs from Frank. Ruth is so small, she could use some babies smaller than herself. The baby buffs she raised got bigger than her in 4 weeks. I also ordered a dozen - 6 each - of Ameracauna and Barred Rock from Lisa. One order should be here today - the next tomorrow. I also bought a HovaBator in case she didn't sit and it's heated to 100 degrees right now.

Soooo....here's the plan. All you experienced folk can advise. I plan to put half of the fertile eggs under Ruth and half in the bator. If Ruth does not continue to sit, I'll take those and put them in bator also. I'm going to try and leave Ruth in the horse stables where it is quiet and the others won't pick on her. I've also wanted to raise the chickens as close to natural as possible and this way they babies will hatch in a real barn. I'm a little worried they are so far from house but nothing got the eggs till now and Rex is pretty adamant about not letting anything anywhere near his territory. I'm going to cover the "window" in the stall and put in a heater and close all doors. Of course, I'll put food and water in there for her and check on her constantly. May even move in with her - the tack room is really nice and just the other day my husband and I were talking about how it could serve as a guest room.

Here's pics of the stables.

Horsestables1.jpg

Ruth's nest is in stall farthest to left:

horsestables2.jpg

Picture from inside stall - you can barely see Ruth in feed trough:

Ruthsitting2.jpg

And here's the little mama to be all settled in:

Ruthsitting.jpg

This will be a fun story to follow!!!
love.gif
When my EE went broody, she carried herself all puffed up like a Thanksgiving turkey! Tail completely fanned out and all feathers puffed out. In chicken body language, I think this means, "I am big, and tough, and HORMONAL--don't MESS with me, my eggs, or my babies!"

She has chosen a wonderful, secluded, quiet place to raise a family! This will be so much fun for you and your broody mama!

Back
Top Bottom