Ruth has a secret - SHE'S SITTING!!!!

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
Just this morning I was telling my husband how neat it was that the girls all go back to the coop and the nest boxes to lay their eggs eventhough they free-range all day long and often end up a long ways from the coop.

Well....a few minutes later I'm throwing balls for Rex when I hear a chicken carrying on like never before - coming from the horse stalls. I had seen our other dog, Lucy run in there but she came running out and the chicken was still carrying on like nothing I've ever heard before. I ran in to see what was going on and why a lone chicken was that far away from the rest of the girls.

Anyway, there's Ruth in the middle of the horse stall all puffed up and screaming like a crazy-chick. It only took me a minute to figure out what she was so upset about. Apparently Ruth has been keeping a secret:

ruthsnest.jpg

Seven pretty little green eggs.

Guess she's gone broody and didn't like Lucy discovering her little stash of "babies". She crawled back in her box and laid another one:

broodyruth2.jpg

broodyruth3.jpg

broodyruth1.jpg

Guess that explains where she was last week when I couldn't find her after looking everywhere and calling for an hour and was just about to cry (I know it's a chicken and I thought I was prepared if I lost one to free-ranging) when she came running from that direction.

I don't have the heart to take the eggs from her. I think she's still laying because she left the nest shortly after laying the 8th egg. No hope of them hatching since I don't have a rooster but I don't have the heart to tell her that either. She's had such a hard start in life and is so low on the pecking order. Bless her heart - she's trying to raise a little family.

Last edited:
You go Ruth! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't hatch the eggs!

Maybe you can put some chicks under her in a couple weeks.

Ah, that is so cute. You should order some hatching eggs and when she's finished laying, switch them out with the fertile ones. That would just make her day. Don't they usually lay about 12? that gives you a few days

Hey - I LOVE the idea of hatching eggs. I'll look into that because I was going to get more babies in spring anyway. It's supposed to be 20 degrees here this weekend. Isn't it still too cold for her to sit on eggs? Plus, the horse stables are a long way from the coop. Would I have to leave her there or could I move the whole nest inside? Finally, where do I order "hatching eggs" and do they come ready to put under a sitting hen? Lots of questions but I love the idea and had not thought of that.

Make a post in the wanted section if no one has tried to contact you yet. Think about what kind of chicks you might want. I'd suggest leaving some of her eggs even if nothing is in them at least at the beginning. ALso, you might want to have a backup plan just in case she quits on them.
So exciting!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom