Rx needed for Baytril?

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
I’ve noticed so many posts recommending Baytril. Is this something that can be ordered online w/o an Rx? I don’t have a tractor supply nearby and my vet won’t supply it to have on hand.
Also, is there a resistance to this antibiotic?

What do you want to treat with Baytril (enrofloxacin?) You should know that Baytril is banned for use in poultry due to the possibility of creating antibiotic-resistant campylobactor bacteria in chickens. That said, some vets will prescribe it for certain illnesses that are resistant to other more common antibiotics. Enrofloxacin can be found in the 10% liquid, and dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given orally twice a day for 5 days here on this site without a prescription:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/

What do you want to treat with Baytril (enrofloxacin?) You should know that Baytril is banned for use in poultry due to the possibility of creating antibiotic-resistant campylobactor bacteria in chickens. That said, some vets will prescribe it for certain illnesses that are resistant to other more common antibiotics. Enrofloxacin can be found in the 10% liquid, and dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given orally twice a day for 5 days here on this site without a prescription:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/
Sorry, thought I was posting under the ‘Emergencies’ tab. Thank you. I’m considering having it on-hand in my duck Emergency Kit. I do have one 8 week old duckling under the care of a vet who’s giving SMZ/TMP orally 2x daily for a respiratory infection. It’s been 4 full days and still barely eating and drinking in her own so they’re tube feeding/hydrating. Needless to say, I’m concerned.

Last edited:
Baytril might treat it better if it is mycoplasma (MG.) Tylsosin, doxycycline, and oxytetracycline are all good drugs for treating MG if you don’t want to use Baytril. The SMZ-TMP sulfa drug is very good for coryza and intestinal diseases, but not the best for MG. I don’t think ducks get coryza, but they do get MG and perhaps something similar to coryza.

Baytril might treat it better if it is mycoplasma (MG.) Tylsosin, doxycycline, and oxytetracycline are all good drugs for treating MG if you don’t want to use Baytril. The SMZ-TMP sulfa drug is very good for coryza and intestinal diseases, but not the best for MG. I don’t think ducks get coryza, but they do get MG and perhaps something similar to coryza.
She initially was treated with an injection of doxycycline with another to follow in a week depending on what the culture came back showing. She did great the very next day but steadily declined. The culture results came back the day before she was to receive the second doxy shot showing the bacteria found in much greater abundance than is common as
Acinetobacter.

You are lucky to have gotten the vet testing to identify the bacteria. Acinetobacter is gram negative bacteria, common in hospital aquired infections, and the sulfa drug may indeed be a good treatment.

You are lucky to have gotten the vet testing to identify the bacteria. Acinetobacter is gram negative bacteria, common in hospital aquired infections, and the sulfa drug may indeed be a good treatment.
Thank you! That’s certainly a relief to hear... Poor little thing, I just hope she makes a turn around.

Back
Top Bottom