??s about weather changing and moving broody at hatch time...

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
I have a hen sitting on 12 eggs -- that will hatch today/tomorrow. I saw one egg move slightly when she took her morning stroll. I have her in a chicken tractor inside the chicken pen. She's been a good broody. My concern is the weather is changing -- colder. A lot colder. They aren't directly on the ground. I have her nesting material on a plastic tray to keep her and chicks out of wet -- this spring has been very wet in WV. We are looking ahead at some nights in the upper mid-upper 30s. Should I move her now before the hatching? If I move her into the coop, there is the other hens that will be an issue. I have allowed a broody to hatch once. And I kept them completely separate inside the coop. I did not let the mother integrate her chicks. I did that for her. This time, I had planned to let the hen do ALL the work including integration. By opening the tractor, she could bring her chicks out to free-range with her and the rest of the flock and take them into the big coop when she was ready. That was the plan. Now the weather is becoming a factor. And maybe it's not a factor -- maybe she can handle keeping them warm outside in the chicken tractor. What do you experienced folks think? Should I move them right now? Cause they will be pipping very very soon...

And if I should move them inside the coop, how much quarantining should I do? Will she be fine and protect sufficiently? I guess I am getting cold feet on this one. She would be placed in a nest box that sits on the floor. But it's a connected solid row of 5 nest boxes. So the possibility of hens laying eggs right beside her and her chicks is real... but is it a real danger?? Cold feet...

And I will add... I planned to buy some pullets tomorrow AM when the shipment to tractor supply comes in and add them to her clutch. I will not be keeping her roos as I live in the city limits. So she'll have 6 chicks a few days older than the others under her too...

Its important to understand the rank your broody is in the pecking order. Many high ranked hens will do fine integrating into the flock since their chicks will have that same rank as well. They will have no trouble having access to food and water. A lower ranked hen will have trouble integrating into the flock since it has to fend off the flock. I've seen lower ranked broody hens come up in ranks, sometimes even being top hen for awhile. Of course, this all just depend on the mother, some will fight, others back down. You have to be careful, some mothers aren't very overprotective and the hens will kill the chicks. If that's the case, its best to have her separated.

I usually have the mom and her chicks away from the flock for no more than a week after they hatch, sometimes as early as three days. Once they seem happy and healthy, I let mom out with her chicks. Usually, at this point, she spends more time out with her chicks than sitting in the nesting box. It's important for them to have plenty of room to avoid as much fighting as possible.

You chicks shouldn't have any problem with the temperature dropping since the mom provides more than enough heat for them. Please make sure your hen is big enough to provide heat for all her chicks if you plan to place more under her.

Its important to understand the rank your broody is in the pecking order. Many high ranked hens will do fine integrating into the flock since their chicks will have that same rank as well. They will have no trouble having access to food and water. A lower ranked hen will have trouble integrating into the flock since it has to fend off the flock. I've seen lower ranked broody hens come up in ranks, sometimes even being top hen for awhile. Of course, this all just depend on the mother, some will fight, others back down. You have to be careful, some mothers aren't very overprotective and the hens will kill the chicks. If that's the case, its best to have her separated.

I usually have the mom and her chicks away from the flock for no more than a week after they hatch, sometimes as early as three days. Once they seem happy and healthy, I let mom out with her chicks. Usually, at this point, she spends more time out with her chicks than sitting in the nesting box. It's important for them to have plenty of room to avoid as much fighting as possible.

You chicks shouldn't have any problem with the temperature dropping since the mom provides more than enough heat for them. Please make sure your hen is big enough to provide heat for all her chicks if you plan to place more under her.
Thank you!! I feel better about the temperature! She is very liquid laying on those eggs. And she fluffs up twice her size if any chicken looks at her. I will keep a close eye on her and that tractor she’s in has an upstairs. After a couple of days, I’ll lower the ramp to the upstairs and then all the chickies will have lots to explore before venturing out into the world with mom. Thanks again. I think I’m on the right path with this hatch.

Back
Top Bottom