Sad. Angry. Don't know what to do.

HappyDuckie

🙄🤚 Almighty Queen of Orplingtons 🥶🙏💙
Sep 30, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
A got two kittens a few weeks ago. They have been in a room with no contact with my dogs for over a month. They were moved into another room with my older cat, Daisy, a week ago. They got along fine, everything was great. Yesterday morning my dog (around 50lbs) somehow squeezed through a tiny cat door, and killed one. Now my parents are talking about getting rid of her. I'm mad at my dog, but I've had her for over 5 years. i don't even know what to think, and the other kitten is terribly upset. I've already lost my duck, and a kitten, now I'm losing my dog, too. I guess it makes sense though, she cant be around any of the animals outside, and cant be in the house now, either. I needed somewhere to talk(or type, I guess). Sorry if this sounds stupid or whiny.

A got two kittens a few weeks ago. They have been in a room with no contact with my dogs for over a month. They were moved into another room with my older cat, Daisy, a week ago. They got along fine, everything was great. Yesterday morning my dog (around 50lbs) somehow squeezed through a tiny cat door, and killed one. Now my parents are talking about getting rid of her. I'm mad at my dog, but I've had her for over 5 years. i don't even know what to think, and the other kitten is terribly upset. I've already lost my duck, and a kitten, now I'm losing my dog, too. I guess it makes sense though, she cant be around any of the animals outside, and cant be in the house now, either. I needed somewhere to talk(or type, I guess). Sorry if this sounds stupid or whiny.
Sorry to hear that, life can be tough sometimes. The pain of losing a loved pet is terrible. I lost my dog almost 2 years ago, had him 12 years. I thought I was all grown up until that happened. I still get teary eyed at times when something sparks those memories. Things will get better, hang in there.

Not stupid or whiny...the loss if any let regardless of the reason is traumatic. I have "Velvet", Rottweiler/Border Collie mix rescue. She was taken from a junk yard along with a litter of her puppies.
My wife would love to get a kitten, but I'm terrified the same situation would occur. I have been acclimatizing her to my chickens since February. The first few months she would attack the run everytime she was out.
Finally in the last two weeks she has decided that they are her chickens, and last night chased a black bear away from our property.
My experience is that patience works.
I'm not sure if your dog is as possessive as Velvet, but introducing them in a highly controlled environment may work. Do not use a leash on her, as that can generate an aggressive response. Leash Aggression is used to train attack dogs.
Patience and using treats everytime your dog meets the cat to enforce positive reinforcement.
Condolences on the loss of your duck and kitten and good luck in the future.

Unfortunately some dogs seem to love kittens! My mom's farm dogs would never leave their farm kittens alone. I would say that either they will have to live in strict isolation( if you can't bear to give either up) or decide ( this sounds awful but sometimes it's what you got to do) which one you would rather give up. I know it sounds awful!😥 I had to give up (re-home) one of my favorite chickens the other year because it was an awful bully - to the point of nearly killing other chickens 😟 it is happy in its new home and I know it was the right choice. But I won't tell you what to do!😁

Sorry for your loss. In the future it's better to train your animals to get along not hide them from each other. The more they are kept apart the worse the outcome once they get near.
All animals that live together need to get along, period. Train them too. In a lot of cases it's a matter of a stern NO.

Im sorry for your loss. I've had to deal with things like this before and its hard. But you don't have to get rid of the dog. You can wean her from that habit but you're going to have to do it quick though because Ive heard stories of dogs who start attacking small animals and then start to attack humans because they don't get proper training so you don't have to get rid of her. Your going to have to slowly introduce small animals and humans and redirect her if she tries to touch it and this method works and most dogs. But best wishes. 🤗

Im sorry for your loss. I've had to deal with things like this before and its hard. But you don't have to get rid of the dog. You can wean her from that habit but you're going to have to do it quick though because Ive heard stories of dogs who start attacking small animals and then start to attack humans because they don't get proper training so you don't have to get rid of her. Your going to have to slowly introduce small animals and humans and redirect her if she tries to touch it and this method works and most dogs. But best wishes. 🤗
Also sorry if that sounded bad

Also sorry if that sounded bad
Not at all. The only reason we kept them separate is because they were both going to be barn cats and live outside. And she has attacked small animals, she has a thing for some reason with baby animals. She almost killed one of my chicks a few months back.

Not stupid or whiny...the loss if any let regardless of the reason is traumatic. I have "Velvet", Rottweiler/Border Collie mix rescue. She was taken from a junk yard along with a litter of her puppies.
My wife would love to get a kitten, but I'm terrified the same situation would occur. I have been acclimatizing her to my chickens since February. The first few months she would attack the run everytime she was out.
Finally in the last two weeks she has decided that they are her chickens, and last night chased a black bear away from our property.
My experience is that patience works.
I'm not sure if your dog is as possessive as Velvet, but introducing them in a highly controlled environment may work. Do not use a leash on her, as that can generate an aggressive response. Leash Aggression is used to train attack dogs.
Patience and using treats everytime your dog meets the cat to enforce positive reinforcement.
Condolences on the loss of your duck and kitten and good luck in the future.
Thank you. I will try that, thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom