Sad, but I had to end it up.

Greece is not a 3rd world country either.
Well someone else taking bad care of them is better than slaughtering them. Just letting them go would've been better than slaughtering them so he didn't have to spend anytime hunting them a new home. He could've taken them back to where he purchased them.

Slaughtering them for food is different than not caring enough to find them a new home.

1. Move the predators.
1. Feed the predators something else.
1. Keep the flock in a covered and secure area.
1. Move the flock to area free of predators.
1. Get flock protection from other animals that defend against and deter the predators.
1. Put flock up for adoption.
1. Kill the predators by means other than poison.

I agree..:thumbsup

Here where I am, many "rehomed" birds wind up being used to train fighting chickens, an unfortunate and illegal practice that crept across the border with illegal immigrants from Mexico.
There has been cock fighting, legal and now illegal in the USA for DECADES. Do not think that people entering the country illegally brought the "sport" with them.

With regard to "solutions", "move the chickens to an area free of predators" doesn't make sense. There is pretty much nowhere that there aren't chicken predators be they coons, foxes, coyotes, dogs, raptors, etc. Securing the chickens area is the only real solution and even that can't be 100% unless they are locked up day and night and that is no life for a chicken unless you have the ability to create a very large predator proof run.

Legally? It is illegal in my state to relocate predators off your property. In my case that would be a relatively short walk for the coon to return to the chicken buffet, they can easily travel many miles.
Or it transfers the predation problem to someone else. How is that right?

1. Move the predators.
1. Get flock protection from other animals that defend against and deter the predators.
It’s a actally illegal to relocate

I'm shocked at some of the replies.
Letting them go? Really? So they would have to fend for themselves, and most likely be killed by a predator. But that's better than slaughtering for food?

The OP already stated the issues of rehoming in his country. And also stated he can't afford to predator proof his coop/run. Good for you Thomas for doing the best thing for your chickens and yourself. :thumbsup

Legally? It is illegal in my state to relocate predators off your property. In my case that would be a relatively short walk for the coon to return to the chicken buffet, they can easily travel many miles.

No... I'm not sure. At the time, I admit, I didn't care if it was legal or not. I was SO upset after they killed my sweet little frizzle hen, my darling favorite little girl.

In this story, I ended up catching three coons. I took them waaay out into the wilderness...many, many miles beyond any homes or businesses and released the three together. They are trying to sustain their own life too...and they deserve to find a nice meal (just not my hens!... I don't eat my chickens) But I would still never be able to kill a raccoon... I'm enormously an animal-lover.

In the future, I will look into a "trapping permit" or having the DOW come get them?

Response in quote:
1. Move the predators.
Illegal in many places and NOT the humane solution many people think. A moved animal will not be able to orient themselves to a completely new area easily and can have trouble finding shelter, food and water. It’ll also find itself in a different animals territory and fights can ensue. Relocated animals rarely survive the move according to wildlife experts here.

This will attract MORE predators and they will have more offspring

This requires spending money on material - the OP said he couldn’t afford that

Show me such a place! This is nonsense.

$$$

No such thing in Greece. Plus others keep their hens in conditions that would bring tears to your eyes.

Killing predators is a temporary solution at best. New predators will mive i to the territory quickly. As long as there are chickens there will be predators around that want to eat them.
Plus the predators you killed ate other undesirable critters like rats, mice, snakes, etc. in your area, so if you get rid of everything that would like to eat your chickens you’ll be overrun by those critters in short time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom