Sad, but I had to end it up.

This guy was unable to keep his birds so he got rid of them. It is actually a responsible decision, where he can keep birds and keep them safe by getting different kinds of birds. I can understand that. Some people on here act like killing a chicken is some major transgression and I assure you, it is not. Good luck with your Quails and budgies Thomas. You (IMO) demonstrate true bird person behavior and I wish I could drop by and see your new setup.

I'm not sure any one is acting like OP is a bad guy for doing this... In his original post, he expressed wanting HELP and IDEAS, and asking what he can do better in the future.
The OP had made a difficult decision to slaughter his birds rather than let them be stolen from him by predators, which would cause him unsustainable financial loss. He came here seeking support for the difficult decision he had to make. There were and are many here that were able give that support, others (who being from USA and never having experienced any kind of poverty were just unable to really relate in any way to his situation), not so much. Many of their remarks would go down as "only in America" to people in third world countries, where being impoverished and having no money is the norm, and "rehoming" an expensive investment by giving their birds to someone else to use as feed for their own flock is a ludicrous and laughable suggestion. The OP has shown a great deal of grace in dealing with those posters (though many still just "don't get it"). He has solved his problem and chosen to raise quail, which he can protect and watch over in his house/ yard rather than the remote location which was all that was available to him to raise chickens. I'm sure we wish him all the best in his new endeavour and will be here to help with any problems he has with raising quail.

So if someone wants to kill your family, it would be best to off them first?
How could just letting them go free, cause him any kind of loss. Just let them go. He did not choose to eat them, he just slaughtered them for what I consider NOT a good reason. And again Greece is not a third world country.

The contradictory reasoning is why I object to what he did.

Last edited:
I wouldn't like to see my chickens eating bread with left pork and the left spaghetti.
And sorry, but chickens are both pets and products.
They can be pets, but when life throws lemons at us, we will make them products.
Big fish eats the small.
I agree. So sorry Thomas. Did you eat your chickens?

So if someone wants to kill your family, it would be best to off them first?
How could just letting them go free, cause him any kind of loss. Just let them go. He did not choose to eat them, he just slaughtered them for what I consider NOT a good reason. And again Greece is not a third world country.

The contradictory reasoning is why I object to what he did.
He loses the birds which he payed for, raised and fed which is an economic loss! Why would you assume that he did not eat or sell them? It says nowhere that he did not eat or sell them... To do otherwise would be an economic loss for him! And we are not talking about humans here (as per your "family" analogy), we are talking about chickens... Yours is the kind of judgemental reasoning and illogic that gives Americans a bad name. But we all get that you don't get it... And, to you, I guess being hungry would not be a good reason... Things are not good in Greece... https://www.huffingtonpost.com/balakrishnan-rajagopal/greece-welcome-to-the-thi_b_7760570.html

Greece in recent years has experienced crisis level economic woes, causing unemployment, a reduction in Social Security benefits, and inability to make payments on it's huge national debt, causing failure of it's banking system, and distressing financial burdens on it's population, also faced with a reduction in tourism which many depended on for livelihood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_government-debt_crisis

Back
Top Bottom