Sad Day...Cockerel In Need Of A Home

Sorry about the unexpected male chick - I've had this happen too from "sexed" female chicks.

just fyi, there are quarantines in place in southern CA. I'm not sure how far it extends or if any changes have taken place as the Newcastle disease has spread outside of CA. But moving poultry and eggs has some restrictions in CA.

here is a link: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/Newcastle_Disease_Info.html

Sorry about the unexpected male chick - I've had this happen too from "sexed" female chicks.

just fyi, there are quarantines in place in southern CA. I'm not sure how far it extends or if any changes have taken place as the Newcastle disease has spread outside of CA. But moving poultry and eggs has some restrictions in CA.

here is a link: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/Newcastle_Disease_Info.html
Yes thanks for the link I already knew all about it and I don't live in those counties.

I think I will just turn it loose and let it take its chances. If I Surrender it to the county not only will they charge me a lot of money to put it down but they will put it down. Everybody thinks every bird in California is infected with Newcastle disease

I think I will just turn it loose and let it take its chances. If I Surrender it to the county not only will they charge me a lot of money to put it down but they will put it down. Everybody thinks every bird in California is infected with Newcastle disease

Don't release it, animal abandonment is a crime in most states for one thing, and feral livestock is bad for the environment. Just kill it if you aren't willing to put in the time to rehome it. It is easy enough to just rehome for free on Craigslist or Facebook though.

Besides that, it is cruel to just let a domesticated animal loose to be a stray and fend for itself, most of them starve to death or die in bad circumstances. It isn't fair to the animal, it doesn't deserve to suffer a lingering death and terror just because it isn't the right gender.

Back
Top Bottom