Sad day, Our puppies didn't make it!!

4-H chicken mom

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Oberlin, OH
Very early this morning our weimaraner Ellie ended up in the hospital for an emergency C-section. It was too late to save her puppies, they were already gone.
hit.gif
She only had three puppies and the vet said that could be why she never went into labor, not enough hormones being produced to cause her to go into labor. I feel so bad for her. I wonder if she knows they are gone? The vet said that she is in great shape and this should not cause her any trouble to try again. I just don't know if I can go through this again. I guess time will heal all wounds. Praying for a fast recovery.
fl.gif

You could try again, but know that if she has another litter, she will more than likely need another c-section to birth them.

I'm sorry. I went through this before Thanksgiving. My lab, Abby, was pregnant. This was her 2nd litter and last we had decided to fix her after she had weaned her pups. She ended up with a c section and we lost 3 pups. The other 5 were okay. I was heartbroken and we had her fixed during the c section. It it hard to go through. I hope you feel better soon.

Yes Kaylakala Ellie is Ok just a little out of it. She doesn't handle drugs to well. When we had her hips x-rayed, it took her over 12 hours to get over the drug effects and she wasn't even put out all the way.

tx_dane_mom I thought that too, but the vet I took her to for the surgery said this doesn't mean she can't deliver naturally next time. Nothing told her to go into labor.
idunno.gif
I do know I won't ever let her go past her due date again and let my vet tell me there is nothing to worry about. I should say former vet.
smack.gif
He wanted to wait at least 6 days past her due date before he would do anything. If I would have waited 2 more days Ellie would have been in trouble by then. I knew I should have followed my gut instinct. I knew something was not right. What a hard lesson.

Ugh, I'm so sorry. That's awful.

Were the puppies full term? 3 isn't that small of a litter that it should necessarily cause problems if everything else was normal. did they take any cultures or samples? I think if it were my grump, I'd want to know exactly why, so when I tried again I could maximize my chances.

We just bred my sweet baby girl last week, so fingers crossed... we'll be expecting puppies. I'm super paranoid, we've been planning this litter for years. My friend (who has the same breed I do), lost a litter recently. The grump had an ultrasound at 35 days, and everything looked normal. But come 63 days, no puppies. At 65 days, she came back in and they repeated the ultrasound, and it appeared the puppies had died shortly before full term and begun to resorb. Very sad. I feel awful for her. The vets are suspicious she didn't maintain her progesterone levels high enough to maintain the pregnancy. I think they are planning to monitor her levels throughout the pregnancy when/if they try again.

Back
Top Bottom