1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad day today...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TGreenhut, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Today I went outside to find one of my favorite silkie chickens lying on the floor of the coop, practically ripped to shreds. And the worst part is that he was still barely alive. I could see him twitching and breathing out of his beak. I couldn't bare to see him suffer so.... I made myself... drown him... [​IMG] . It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Luckily, since he was already so limp he didn't squirm much. [​IMG]

Since I free range my chickens I'm thinking it was probably a predator. I doubt that a flock-mate of his would have done this.

RIP My dear Cricket. His name was Cricket because the only sounds he made was a really high-pitched whistle-y crow and those high-pitched squeaky noises that chickens make when they find something yummy. He made those sounds constantly and he could always make me smile. [​IMG]

RIP Cricket!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be on high alert. I am afraid that the predator will return.

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear this. Figure out how he got in and secure your coop. Full moon tonight, so the bad guys have a lot of light to work with for hunting.

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG] I am sorry you had to go through this. [​IMG]

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    [​IMG]

I am so sorry!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss! Sounds like he had a good life with you. Keep an eye out for the predator that did this! [​IMG]

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    do you leave the door to the pen open so they can come and go as they please?

9. RoosterLover15

RoosterLover15 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Down in the boondocks
    Aww I'm so sorry I know how you feel. A possum got ahold of one of my chickens once and ate her head off and left the rest. It made me sick I just fell to the ground crying. You have to watch out for those things.

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    RIP Cricket. And kudos to you for being so brave and not letting him suffer further. I agree, it was a predator and you have to be on the lookout for it to return. Once they find a food source, they keep coming back. Poor little Silkies don't roost, so they are so vulnerable, that and poor eyesight from the top knots. One thing I have and I do think it works, is the Night Owl Eye red-thingy. It is a blinking light that I mounted on a post near the pop door and it is solar powered, auto on and off at dusk. I am thinking to put one right above the coop pop doors, they are like $25 to $30 at the feed store. Maybe something that easy would help you out. [​IMG] HenZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by