Sad day

tinyraptor3211

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
We had an attack on both of our coops last night. We had 4 older hens in the big coop and 4 new 10 week old chicks in the smaller coop that we were going to combine when they got older. Unfortunately something got into both coops(have NO idea how they got in because they are both locked up so tight). Only 2 older hens survived and one 10 week old who is big for her age. What should we do?? I know chickens don’t like to be alone. We tried putting the younger hen with the older two and she is getting pecked and chased to no end. She keeps trying to get out of the run and will run up to me when I walk past. She hates it in there with them. Any ideas?

We had an attack on both of our coops last night. We had 4 older hens in the big coop and 4 new 10 week old chicks in the smaller coop that we were going to combine when they got older. Unfortunately something got into both coops(have NO idea how they got in because they are both locked up so tight). Only 2 older hens survived and one 10 week old who is big for her age. What should we do?? I know chickens don’t like to be alone. We tried putting the younger hen with the older two and she is getting pecked and chased to no end. She keeps trying to get out of the run and will run up to me when I walk past. She hates it in there with them. Any ideas?
So sorry for your loss :(. Just in case you are considering to get more chickens in the future can I have a picture of your coop? Coop designs usually may be strong enough to deter predators while other coops aren't as strong or just rushed for chickens to live in and people often forget that it needs to be strong enough to keep predators away.If you want to make your 10 week old live with your older hens wait a few more days because they may be reestablishing the pecking order. If it continues for more than a few days get a dog crate and put the 10 week old chick inside and then put it back into the coop and then release it after a week or 2.

I'm sorry for your losses. Consider putting peepers/blinders on your two older hens. Then you should be able to put your 10 week old in with them.
I highly recommend that you thoroughly inspect your pens and coops and eliminate any possible breaches you find.

Back
Top Bottom