Sad hen after predator attack?

How's your girl doing?
She has reverted back to not eating or drinking. She seems interested but keeps shying away from it. I had to syringe water her for the past 2 days. Our current concern is she is constantly adjusting her crop after she tries to eat something. I get her to peck a few grains of food then she walks away and seems angry with me for messing with her. I felt her crop and nothing feels out of place, but I am no chicken expert.
She seems to be walking around more and being more vocal. She still honks at me and makes some chicken noises every once in a while. We let her outside when it was sunny the past few days and she still has the "chicken" instinct. She tries to hunt on ground for bugs and suns her buns if its in a warm sunny spot. She tries to pick at grass but it seems she doesn't have the strength to pull the grass. The injury on her right side is improved but she seems to be tipping to the left from it. Still some swelling on her eye. Her neck isn't broken and feels good too. She tries to preen her feathers on the hurt side but cant bend fully that way yet. She tries and pulls back when she turns her head, which I am wondering if that is why she isn't eating or drinking. She tries to shake her head and doesn't seem to put much effort into it because it hurts or it's stiff. I did check to make sure she wasn't egg bound and it doesn't appear to be.
Her comb is bright red and she still has her attitude she has always had which gives us hope she will turn around but I feel lost and don't know how or what to do to help her. Every time I try and feed her or give her water, she walks away from me and seems mad I'm messing with her.
I apologize for rambling on about her, I just feel very lost and concerned for my girl. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

She has reverted back to not eating or drinking. She seems interested but keeps shying away from it. I had to syringe water her for the past 2 days. Our current concern is she is constantly adjusting her crop after she tries to eat something. I get her to peck a few grains of food then she walks away and seems angry with me for messing with her. I felt her crop and nothing feels out of place, but I am no chicken expert.
She seems to be walking around more and being more vocal. She still honks at me and makes some chicken noises every once in a while. We let her outside when it was sunny the past few days and she still has the "chicken" instinct. She tries to hunt on ground for bugs and suns her buns if its in a warm sunny spot. She tries to pick at grass but it seems she doesn't have the strength to pull the grass. The injury on her right side is improved but she seems to be tipping to the left from it. Still some swelling on her eye. Her neck isn't broken and feels good too. She tries to preen her feathers on the hurt side but cant bend fully that way yet. She tries and pulls back when she turns her head, which I am wondering if that is why she isn't eating or drinking. She tries to shake her head and doesn't seem to put much effort into it because it hurts or it's stiff. I did check to make sure she wasn't egg bound and it doesn't appear to be.
Her comb is bright red and she still has her attitude she has always had which gives us hope she will turn around but I feel lost and don't know how or what to do to help her. Every time I try and feed her or give her water, she walks away from me and seems mad I'm messing with her.
I apologize for rambling on about her, I just feel very lost and concerned for my girl. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.
Once, I had a hen that survived a hawk attack. It was with another hen, when I saw a hawk swoop down all of a sudden! It took the other hen, and then another hawk swooped down, going for the second hen. I ran out there, grabbed a stick, and threw it at the hawk. It didn't hit it, but once it saw me, it flew away. My hen was missing some feathers, and was SO scared. It was almost killed by a hawk. TWO hawks. It was not eating or drinking, and it didn't come out of the coop after that, for a week! I had to go out, and give her the food and water. After that short phase of staying in the coop, she started acting normal again.

Once, I had a hen that survived a hawk attack. It was with another hen, when I saw a hawk swoop down all of a sudden! It took the other hen, and then another hawk swooped down, going for the second hen. I ran out there, grabbed a stick, and threw it at the hawk. It didn't hit it, but once it saw me, it flew away. My hen was missing some feathers, and was SO scared. It was almost killed by a hawk. TWO hawks. It was not eating or drinking, and it didn't come out of the coop after that, for a week! I had to go out, and give her the food and water. After that short phase of staying in the coop, she started acting normal again.
Hawks are an awful predator. So sorry to hear about your hen. Our attack was about 8 days ago. She seems to be getting better daily but I'm just worried the attack from the weasel did something I can't see to her neck since she isn't eating or drinking again. She was drinking on her own for a few days then she reverted back. All I can do is keep giving her attention and try and make her feel comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom