Sad loss to bobcat

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
Well, our bobcat problems continue. I’m a bit discouraged today - feeling like I’m playing whack a mole with our guinea issues. I finally got the fence up to try to discourage our guineas from getting onto the road, when we had our first bobcat predation of the year. We have a small pond with terribly overgrown briar behind it, where all of our birds love to hang out when it’s hot. We lost birds to a bobcat in that area last year and tried to trap the bobcat with no success.

Let me backup and say that out of our four guinea cocks, only our royal purple, Kingpin, is monogamous. With 12 hens, all other cocks have multiple hen harems. However, Kingpin only had eyes for our pearl grey guinea, Scout Purple. He was so devoted to her: he followed her around everywhere, and would panic if he couldn’t immediately find her. They would forage connected at the hip, with Scout Purple leading the way. TBH, I always thought that they had a Romeo and Juliet vibe: they were so into each other, and didn’t really care so much about the other guineas. They’ve mostly been foraging on their own for the last month or so, though they’d hang out some with the others.

Today, I was sitting on our back porch with my phone, resting after a quick walk, while Kingpin and Scout Purple foraged on the grass of our back yard, about 20 feet from me. I head a commotion, looked over, and saw a bobcat running into the thicket with a guinea. I yelled and gave chase. The cat dropped the bird in the thicket, and she was still alive, but her spine had been severed, and she died quickly. As I was deciding whether to try again with the trap, my DD saw the cat go for another guinea, which got away. So, my son put SP in the trap and set it in the thicket. I’m really hoping that we catch this bold, poultry fixated bobcat.

Poor Kingpin! He was calling and looking so desperately for his mate, wandering through her mass of feathers and into the thicket where the bobcat had dragged her. I finally managed to herd all guineas back into their pen and turn the electricity on, then I left while Kingpin called and called for his doomed Juliet.

Attachments

• B5D6EC60-7AAC-412F-BF48-D17CFEB5DE63.jpeg
    B5D6EC60-7AAC-412F-BF48-D17CFEB5DE63.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 29
  • C4786DC2-AA73-44AE-B235-38ECAB060A67.jpeg
    C4786DC2-AA73-44AE-B235-38ECAB060A67.jpeg
    669.3 KB · Views: 13
Well, our bobcat problems continue. I’m a bit discouraged today - feeling like I’m playing whack a mole with our guinea issues. I finally got the fence up to try to discourage our guineas from getting onto the road, when we had our first bobcat predation of the year. We have a small pond with terribly overgrown briar behind it, where all of our birds love to hang out when it’s hot. We lost birds to a bobcat in that area last year and tried to trap the bobcat with no success.

Let me backup and say that out of our four guinea cocks, only our royal purple, Kingpin, is monogamous. With 12 hens, all other cocks have multiple hen harems. However, Kingpin only had eyes for our pearl grey guinea, Scout Purple. He was so devoted to her: he followed her around everywhere, and would panic if he couldn’t immediately find her. They would forage connected at the hip, with Scout Purple leading the way. TBH, I always thought that they had a Romeo and Juliet vibe: they were so into each other, and didn’t really care so much about the other guineas. They’ve mostly been foraging on their own for the last month or so, though they’d hang out some with the others.

Today, I was sitting on our back porch with my phone, resting after a quick walk, while Kingpin and Scout Purple foraged on the grass of our back yard, about 20 feet from me. I head a commotion, looked over, and saw a bobcat running into the thicket with a guinea. I yelled and gave chase. The cat dropped the bird in the thicket, and she was still alive, but her spine had been severed, and she died quickly. As I was deciding whether to try again with the trap, my DD saw the cat go for another guinea, which got away. So, my son put SP in the trap and set it in the thicket. I’m really hoping that we catch this bold, poultry fixated bobcat.

Poor Kingpin! He was calling and looking so desperately for his mate, wandering through her mass of feathers and into the thicket where the bobcat had dragged her. I finally managed to herd all guineas back into their pen and turn the electricity on, then I left while Kingpin called and called for his doomed Juliet.
Sorry about your continued problems.

I'm so sorry...it is really hard to lose animals, especially when one gets so attached to them. I'm glad you know what it taking them though, so you can take proper measures to prevent it from happening again!
Thanks. I’m not very confident that I can really eliminate the problem - I’ve been trying to trap this bobcat for a year. I just checked the trap that has poor Scout Purple as bait, but no bobcat; I expect that I will once again catch a raccoon instead. I think the next thing to try is to brush hog the area so it’s more clear behind the coops. That will still leave a lot of brush on our property for other ambush attacks though...

So, to make this whole situation really fubar, I just discovered that the trap that we placed poor Scout Purple’s carcass into for bait was not set right. Something came and ate SP, which was tied to the wire, but the trap didn’t trigger. I feel so awful letting her body be mauled like that, and I’m really hoping that it was a raccoon that got to her and not that d@&$ bobcat. I yelled at my son, who set the trap, then just felt bad about blaming him; I should have double checked that it was set properly. Buried poor SP and said a few words of apology.

All birds have been kept locked up, and poor Kingpin stopped calling for her. I think he knows that she’s gone. I hope that he takes another mate as there are several hens on the fringes of guinea society. I wish that more guineas had been around to learn more about how dangerous bobcats are, but that pounce was so very fast; I’m not sure that there’s anything SP could have done to get away.

We’ve reserved a rental Billy Goat Brush Cutter for this weekend, and plan to clear as much as we can, but at least the brush and briars behind the coop where the bobcat likes to hunt. I’ll also resume walking around with my own wannabe guinea eater Doberman, to give the cat the idea that it’s not a safe area. We also still have so many tree deadfalls from cutting many cedars almost two years ago; we’ve been cutting and burning them, but it’s such slow going. Those always seem like great critter hideouts; I’d really like to be done with that little project!

Back
Top Bottom