Sad momma duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommaduckk, Nov 3, 2013.

1. mommaduckk

mommaduckk New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi everyone, so I'm really having a bad day, my almost 3 month year old duck died today from my dog. I can't help but blame myself, even though I did everything I could to make sure she was safe. She was an inside duck for first month but then started pooping in the house and it became a problem. So I got her a big cage to put outside so she could start getting used to being out there. It's only been about a week she's been outside and I would bring her in at night but last night I fell asleep early and didn't think it was that cold for her so I thought it was ok. Anyways I woke up this morning and found her cage mangled and she wasn't in it. I also had my dogs fenced in the backyard and noticed my dog had broke through the fence as well, that's when I found her body (her name was little J) and I started crying because I really did love her and now I'm just really bummed out, I thought I could write here because other duck lovers would understand. My friends and family have been supported but they wonder why I'm sad over a duck? When in reality I thought of her as my little baby. I tied up my dog and can't even look at him I'm just so upset. I don't know what to do or how long I'll feel this way. Hopefully someone had advice? I'm not sure I want to get a duck anytime soon since I'm still aching over the loss of my little J and I don't want the same horrific incident to happen again I just feel so sad that I lost my little duckling [​IMG]

2. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Sending prayers your way- soooo sorry for your loss!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I understand how you feel about her. Don't rush yourself or make forever decisions right now.

It may be best not to have ducks if your dogs cannot be reliably controlled. On the other hand, now that you know the pain of losing her, and how it happened, you may be able to - before getting another duck - set up an absolutely secure area.

My worst duck losses were when I was younger and there were other people in the household. Adults allowed a very young child to roam the house, and that child opened the door to my room and let my dog come in and kill my ducklings. Twice. I learned that I could not trust the adults to monitor the child, even after I had explained the problem. I learned my dog was a killer of small animals.

Dogs have instincts and sometimes we do not realize how deeply those instincts run. Once I set up a secure, child-proof, dog-proof, irresponsible adult-proof system, my ducks grew to adulthood and did fine.

4. denise91

denise91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    I am so sorry! My dachshund was extremely aggressive to my new chicks and even killed one when the poor thing stuck her head through the chicken wire. I got a squirt bottle, filled it with water, and every time my dog would get hysterical barking at the babies, I'd squirt her with water until she either stopped barking or ran away. It only took a couple days for her to leave them alone and she hasn't bothered them in two years now. There could still be hope if you want to try again and get another duck. Just make sure that your dog is properly trained, you get a sturdy enclosure, and also, give yourself time to grieve.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by