Sad Muscovy Drake???

aplynn

Chirping
Jun 20, 2015
Buxton, Maine
I have a male white Muscovy duck who lost his female companion. We had gotten the 2 of them at a very young age and once we realized that one was a male we knew we would have to get more females for him. We waited a while and last Thursday we got 2 female ducks slightly younger than my 2. Everything seemed to be going fine and then Sunday morning my female white Muscovy went missing????? We have looked everywhere for her and there is no sign of her anywhere.
Well, now my drake is acting off, his aggression is almost gone and he seems to want to be with me all the time. He just lays at my feet even to a point of trying to follow me into the house. I have not put him in with the other 2 females yet because they are just that much smaller and younger than him, I fear he will hurt them. Just not sure what to do to help the poor guy.

I do believe that ducks do feel sadness and can be lonely. The only cure here, I guess, is a companion.

I have a male white Muscovy duck who lost his female companion. We had gotten the 2 of them at a very young age and once we realized that one was a male we knew we would have to get more females for him. We waited a while and last Thursday we got 2 female ducks slightly younger than my 2. Everything seemed to be going fine and then Sunday morning my female white Muscovy went missing????? We have looked everywhere for her and there is no sign of her anywhere.
Well, now my drake is acting off, his aggression is almost gone and he seems to want to be with me all the time. He just lays at my feet even to a point of trying to follow me into the house. I have not put him in with the other 2 females yet because they are just that much smaller and younger than him, I fear he will hurt them. Just not sure what to do to help the poor guy.
How much of an age difference is there between him and the 2 young ones. I'd separate them with fencing so they can get to know each other especially if the ducks are much younger than your drake he very well could injure them. Once your ducks are around 5 months old then try letting them all be together. Using treats to get them from zeroing on each other right off. If you introduce slowly it will work out.
and of course he is sad right now and you are closest to his flock he had so give him time he'll eventually bond with the new girls.. But please make sure what ever got your white female can't get to the ones you still have because an easy meal means they will be back.
Very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom