Sad news

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

man that really stinks. dont underestimate how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. just like any other pet, we nuture and care for them and they depend on us, by then we're emotionally attached. so its in NO way silly to cry and mourn when we lose them.

there's ALWAYS a bright side, this can be a learning experience. if it were me, i'd start asking questions to better prepare the survivors. how hot was it? what shelter did he have available? Is there a way to improve their surroundings so they're better protected? can you implement any cooling methods before any of the others get overheated? things like that.

great suggestions! I put the sprinkler in my coop when it gets really hot, or even just lay the hose on the ground and turn the water on a trickle. My gals love to drink, get wet, etc.

Thank you all for the kind words. I guess I just felt silly crying because so many people raise chickens for meat and not as members of their family. I have a small 12 acre farm with many, many family members. I become very attached to all my critters so our farm is more of a petting zoo. I am lucky enough to have one last peep from my roo running around the coop right now. I will be happy whether it is a hen or roo. Thank you all for the suggestions. I didn't realize that chickens like to get wet. I have them in a lage open stall in our barn with a fan on them. I think the problem for "Penguin" was that he was very good at doing what roos do (if ya know what I mean). The hens seem fine and the heat has finally broken a little, but we live in southern TN and it is very humid. We have been experiencing heat index temps of 110 for the past 3 weeks or more. I have been worried about all of my critters who are out in the heat and check on them frequently. I brought "Penguin" in from the heat as soon as I saw that he was having a problem. Unfortunately by that time the internal damage is done. I am a vet tech and my entire life is dedicated to caring for animals, but I am new to the world of chickens. So in all my sadness I am going to learn from this experience to better care for my feathered friends.

Back
Top Bottom