Sad night!!!

nikiw

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
I raise chickens as pets with egg laying benefits. I live in a city that only allows 6 chickens. I started with three pullets and ended up with 2 hens and 1 rooster. I had to get rid of the rooster so then ended up with only two. I know that 2 is a bad number and did not want to just have 2. Anyway..... Last night I heard death cries from the coop. By the time I opened the font door it was too late. I watched a dog running off with one of my lovely pets in its mouth. I will never forget that horrible sound running down the street. Now I have one terrified chicken left and I don't know what to do. The coop is very secure and safe I just made a HORRIBLE mistake and didn't latch the door shut all the way. I have a small coop and run and am worried about introducing a new bird because mine are so tame. I handle them daily and they follow me around the yard. Should I find a bullied hen that is being re-homed?
I was going to order chicks this spring. Should I wait until then and then add the juveniles in when they are old enough?
How long can she be alone before I have a really lonely sad chicken?

Very sorry for your loss! I know how dogs can be sometimes.

You could definitely get a bullied hen to help accompany your remaining one, but as a caution I would recommend quarantining your new hen for a bit while you wait to see if it has any sickness. You don't want to jeopardize the health of your remaining bird. If you can, take the new bird to a vet to check on its health, and if you get the green light, then you can let them be together.

If you are going to be keeping your hens in a pen, see if you can keep a divider of some kind in the pen for a week or so, so they can get used to each other. There might be a time period where new hens need to learn the pecking order, and who is in charge. Another option would be if you allow your two hens to free range in your yard. With that option your hens might be more focused on grazing, rather than their new counterpart.

As for whether or not your should get a bullied hen or new fledglings, I think the process would be the same, but depending on what you can find you might have a better chance at finding a hen that can keep your current hen company, before you can find 6 week+ old chicks to add to your flock.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Having lost birds to predators, I understand how you are feeling. We all make our mistakes in poultry, sometimes losing some in the process. But you learn how to better protect them in the future. Try not to beat yourself up.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you could your lone hen a friend,that would be a good option for her. Of course you do need to be careful about diseases and quarantine the new bird. Raising chicks will give you the most friendly birds, if you put the time into handling them daily. She may do alright until early spring, but she will be lonely.

Back
Top Bottom