Sad Quail News...

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
We lost Fluffy
sad.png

She passed away earlier today, being our broody hen, she had been sitting on it for the past 3 days and I thought she was eating and drinking, but apparently not, she was cold and barely alive when I picked her up, kicking her legs weakly before passing away in my hands as I tried to warm her up a little and nurse her to health. I tried reviving her by dabbing water on her beak and lightly rubbing her chest, and she woke up for a few seconds before passing away for good in my hand, with rigormortis kicking in soon afterwards despite my attempts to resuscitate her again... I was so distracted with looking after the chicks to ensure they ate and drank that I forgot to check to see if Fluffy was leaving the nest to eat and drink herself.

Also... It seems Rex is gonna replace Fluffy as the broody, despite him being male. He is sitting in the nestbox she normally sat at on one of Speckle's eggs she recently laid, poor thing. I want to introduce the three eggs Fluffy was sitting on, but don't want to scare him off the nest so I will just leave them be and let Speckles and Rex to do their own things. But I will keep an eye on them to ensure that Rex doesn't go the same way Fluffy did.

RIP Fluffy, you will be missed.

Oh My God. My 2 quails died from UE yesterday I used Terramycin Streptomycin and Duramycin but it didn't seem to be working. What should I do?

Oh My God. My 2 quails died from UE yesterday I used Terramycin Streptomycin and Duramycin but it didn't seem to be working. What should I do?
Separate the rest of the flock to ensure it doesn't spread any further as it is VERY contagious. I also read you can treat it with penicillin (50-100 ppm in feed), amoxycillin and multivitamins. Also try adding apple cider vinegar to the water as it will help boost the immune system of the birds.

It should be diluted down to 2% in the water, 20ml per litre.

Last edited:
What's the big idea of separating when there are only 3 of them left and I think 2 of them have caught this disease. I can't say with surety but I think they're getting better. Yes I used pencillin Streptomycin and Amoxicillin too. I used ACV in previously dying quails But it did no good. Today I washed their cage with disnfectant Changed their feeding plates and bedding. Theire is one another question Hoe to distinguish btw young and mature quails because the person who sold me these quails said that they're mature quails but I don't think so they're even smaller than chicks( sorry but I'm new with these birds )

What's the big idea of separating when there are only 3 of them left and I think 2 of them have caught this disease. I can't say with surety but I think they're getting better. Yes I used pencillin Streptomycin and Amoxicillin too. I used ACV in previously dying quails But it did no good. Today I washed their cage with disnfectant Changed their feeding plates and bedding. Theire is one another question Hoe to distinguish btw young and mature quails because the person who sold me these quails said that they're mature quails but I don't think so they're even smaller than chicks( sorry but I'm new with these birds )
I am fairly new to quails myself, so I am not quite sure how to tell, but I heard ones that enter the point of lay/breeding crow. Both males and females crow depending on the quail, I am raising Button Quails and hens make an "Eep eep eeep!" and males make a "Wa wa wooo!" call, but the calls are different in other species of quail.

Also if they are new or ill, they will likely not be laying until they are feeling safer and better. My hens didn't start laying until around 5 days after I got them, and was rather concerned the guy we got them from gave us males instead of hens as they had the bibs males had, but they both started laying at around the same time. Usually one egg a day from both but sometimes I had 4 eggs in the cage from both laying two.

Sadly I can't offer much more advice on treating the quails, but I am glad that they are showing some signs of getting better. Best thing to do is keep a close eye on them and ensure they have fresh water and feed at all times, as when sick they use up more energy and water.

I see all of my quails make that special quail's voice like (kuk kuk) and I can relate that they're mature. I told that person to give me one male and 4 females. But he didn't vent sexed them and gave them as female which were bald from their backs.

Yup I'll try my best to cure them. I'm giving them terramycin streptomycin and pencillin's mixture in minute quant. Hope they get better.
1f60a.png

I see all of my quails make that special quail's voice like (kuk kuk) and I can relate that they're mature. I told that person to give me one male and 4 females. But he didn't vent sexed them and gave them as female which were bald from their backs.
They likely are female, but it is hard to tell as they could have been in crowded conditions with either a lot of males or a bully had been pecking at them. It could also be that they have mites, which cause feather loss and can cause death if there are too many, due to blood loss. I'd go and get some de-miting stuff just in case it isn't UE and that it may be mites. If they scratch and itch a lot, it could likely be mites.

Yup I'll try my best to cure them. I'm giving them terramycin streptomycin and pencillin's mixture in minute quant. Hope they get better.
1f60a.png
I hope they get better too! It is horrible when you lose a member of the flock.

Thank god the quail which was just going to die is stable. I gave them Pencillin Streptomycin Terramycin Bacitracin and vinegar But I can't figure out how to give them food they're not eating at all.

Back
Top Bottom