Sad :( She's gone.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 8, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm losing one of the meaties. I didn't post this thread in the emergencies section because I know there's really nothing that can be done for her. She has fresh food and water, fresh air and sunshine. It's just her time.
    I am puzzled by the fact that she's not one of the large meaties. She's the size of my 4 week old EEs. I don't know the meaties exact age, but think they are around the same age as my layer chicks.
    She's had 13 days of life that she wouldn't have had otherwise. Wish it could be more. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Darn! [​IMG] Sorry... [​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Why?

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I always loose one or sometimes more when I raise meaties, I don't think it is always the size but the heart and genetic make up. so sorry but if you only loose one before processing that is pretty good. Its hard loosing any of them even the meaties though and I have tried to fix birds destined for the plate many many times sometimes with success although that usually grants them a reprieve from freezer camp.

5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Sorry Grit. But you did the right thing - took them in to give them some nice days on God's green earth. Mother nature is sometimes cruel but in the end, rest assured, she knows best. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Why what Buff? Do you mean why do I think I am losing her? She's just laying down with her eyes closed. She'll open them if I pick her up, but goes right back to sleep in my arms. I was encouraged by the fact that she did eat a little when I sat her down in front of the feeder, but then she fell asleep again. Her crop is about half full.

AHappychick, these meaties aren't being raised for processing. They were left on my doorstep. They are going to have normal lives for however long Mother Nature gives them. The four really big ones, about the size of 6 - 8 week old chicks and all roosters, are the ones I worry most about. So far however those four seem to be doing great. They hated it at first when I would push them out the door to free range, but now they like it and are running around catching bugs like the rest of the chicks. I keep telling them to use their legs for something other than sitting on while they eat.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She has passed away. DH said that in his opinion it wasn't a heart attack. Her posture wasn't right for a heart issue. I guess I'll never know. Maybe the others will stick around awhile. They seem real playful right now.
    One I'm going to post a pic of soon is now named Phoenix. Her feathers are coming in, all sticking straight out at odd angles from her body. DH said it comes from rough handling at the hatchery or in the commercial house.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh I'm sorry Grits. Well, I'm hoping she was just tired and worn out from being her breed. Better luck with your other rescues. You're a wonderful person for giving them a good life.

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm really sorry, Kat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by