sad/sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by candycar, Jul 11, 2010.

1. candycar

candycar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Catlettsburg KY
    Hi alll!
    I "rescued 3 chicks from the flea market yesterday. There are 2 little, about a week old(just starting to get wing feathers) chicks. One of them, 2Bits, is not acting right. She/he, just stands around and stares off into space. Will eat a little and drink if beak dipped. She just wants to cuddle with the older (3-4 wks) silkie we rescued. The other chick her age , Kibbles, is just fine and running around like a happy baby.
    They were in a cage with a hen, not their mother who pecked at them. I don't know if 2Bits is injured or just slow.
    Has anyone ever had a chick that "failed to thrive" survive? I have checked Bits legs and they seem ok. She is reluctant to move much, is very docile and doesn't peep alot. What could be wrong? I hate to see the little gift like this. Can they snap out of it? Any thing I should be doing?
    We are in the process of rebuilding our flock, which was wiped out last Wed. by the BILs dog:( Very sad and heartbreaking.
    Thank you for any help!

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    If you see bloody stools it could be Coccidiosis.
    If you rule out cocci then you could try a small amount of sugar in the water which may be enough to give it energy to eat and drink normally.
    Good luck with the chickie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by