sad story

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HappyFarmLady, Aug 5, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    My daughters little 5lb yorkie mix tried to eat my broodie hen!! She chewed off allof her tail feathers and started chewing on her skin. I'm just sick!

My BCM hen is still alive and still sitting on the 3 Silkie eggs that I slipped under her but she looks so sad!

2. Whitney13

Whitney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    Poor hen. I hope she is all right. I would give her a healthy treat to make her feel better.

If it had been my hen that the dog tried to eat I would be saying poor dog.
    My dog tried that with my hen but she turned around and started attacking his face and my 50lb. dog will not go anywhere near a chicken anymore. [​IMG]

3. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear she made it, hopes she recovers well. I came home the other day to my neighbors dog trying to pull one of my 3 week old chicks through the wire. I chased the dog off and the chick didnt seemed to be harmed, other than a few feathers. I then had a nice conversation w/my neighbor....[​IMG]

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    aw, poor baby, I hope she's alright [​IMG]

5. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    poor thing! spoil her! take her some mixed greens, tomato( mine LOVE tomato) scrambled eggs..

what a sweet girl

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    She may need medical care. What have you done so far?

Neosporin on any cuts. Any deep puncture wounds? They may require oral or injectible antibiotic.

She could use some electrolytes for shock. A bit of Pedialtye or Gatorade will do in a pinch - spritz on watermelon or some other treat that she'll accept.

A drop or two of Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy) in her water may help her with stress from this traumatic attack.

She will likely be in pain from what happened. If you don't suspect internal bleeding and she is not bleeding externally, aspirin water will help. One baby aspirin (81 mg) crushed into one cup drinking water, fresh batch at least once but preferably twice daily.

Please keep us posted.

JJ

7. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    That must be one brave yorkie. I have cats 3x that big that won't even look at a chicken.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Thanks JJ I was about to do that.

OP: I hope she does well. That Yorkie would be getting a 5lb smacking over that nonsense

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    give her some corncob [​IMG] puts my chickens ing a good mood [​IMG]

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I had the same thing happen, except it was 3 hunting dogs that were coon hunting over 1500 yds away, chasing something and came upon my chickens, my BCM hen was in total shock, looking at me as if to say what the blank just happen. She was paralyzed and missing her wing. We put her down. The male lost all of his tail feathers was hiding, I just let him rest it off and he was fine. The hunters paid me for the loss of my hen. Which I hatch, she was the only survivor out of 18 eggs. They gave me 60$ and thanked us for not killing their dogs. I hope your hen is all right. She probably is just in shock, keep an eye on her. Good Luck with your eggs. Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by