"Sad Update" Dog People: Need advice

chicks rule

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
SW MO
My daughter and grandkids have a 3 yr old dachshund, yesterday evening she went to snap at my cat and messed up her back, her back legs are paralized, she took her to the vet today and they were less than helpful, almost immediatly suggested surgery, I would have at least thought they would give her a shot of cordizone(sp) for imflamation, they didn't. Is there anything I can do for her? She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she drank good but wasn't too interested in food. I have 81mg Aspirin, would that be of any benefit to her? Anything you could think of to help would be appreciated. My daughter is a single mother to 3 so the surgery probably is out of the question. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Last edited:
Its pretty common for them to have back problems because they are so long. You may want to get another vets opinion but I think they would say the same thing. Is there a rescue organization or something similar in your area that may help with the cost?

Talk to the vet about getting her on prednisone and maybe an antiinflammatory. I know dogs can take ibuprofen or naprosyn but the vet needs to give you the proper dosage so it does not impair the liver or kidneys. You want to try one of the orthopedic heating pads or beds for dogs, a little expensive but not as high as a surgery.

I am searching now for the possibility of someone who may be able to help, I was surprised the vet didn't give her a shot to help with the imflamation. Don't really care for the vet she went to, but they were closest. A second opinion may be what we need as well. Thanks

her back legs are paralyzed,

That sounds pretty serious to me. Did they take x-rays? I would expect them to have taken x-rays if a dog came in with paralyzed legs, and might have seen something in the x-ray to cause them to recommend surgery. I wonder if, at this point, surgery might be the only way to get her movement back.

Here is a helpful website. It says "Rarely is rear paralysis temporary"

A lot of vets have some kind of system in place for long term payment plans. If she doesn't feel comfortable with that vet for some reason than she could seek recommendations from people she trusts and seek a second opinion.

I would act fast, though.

Edited to add a website from the Humane Society called What You Can Do If You Are Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care

Last edited:
Quote:
That sounds pretty serious to me. Did they take x-rays? I would expect them to have taken x-rays if a dog came in with paralyzed legs, and might have seen something in the x-ray to cause them to recommend surgery. I wonder if, at this point, surgery might be the only way to get her movement back.

Here is a helpful website. It says "Rarely is rear paralysis temporary"

A lot of vets have some kind of system in place for long term payment plans. If she doesn't feel comfortable with that vet for some reason than she could seek recommendations from people she trusts and seek a second opinion.

I would act fast, though.

No x-rays, not much of anything except recommending surgery,

Hmmm, no x-rays seems odd, but I'm not a vet.

If she's not comfortable with that provider and has no one to ask, she could start with AAHA, it's the American Animal Hospital Association and it certifies vets who meet certain standards. They have a Hospital Locater to help you find an AAHA certified hospital near you.

Also AAHA has a Helping Pets Fund to help provide care to pets who need help whose owners can't afford it.

It it were mine, I would treat paralyzed legs as a drop everything and act now emergency. I'm not an expert, though.

Thanks for those links Mountain top, like I said earlier, Daughter is a single mom with three kids, not an easy choice.

I would ask how they think surgery will be helpful if they dont know what is wrong
hu.gif

Quote:
I went to the locater link and sadly the vet she took the dog to is on their list, they sure didn't seem to care much? Geez

Back
Top Bottom