"Sad Update" Dog People: Need advice

Definitely see another vet, quickly or it will probably be permanent!! My frenchie has hurt her back a couple of times. It is common for "dwarf" type breeds to have spinal anomalies which cause back problems, kind of like dacshunds.

Cricket has butterfly and hemi vertebrae, a couple of each. The vet immediately did xrays (the first time) put her on steriods, pain meds and tagament to protect her stomach from the other meds. She was on strict crate rest for 6 weeks. She didn't lose complete control of her back legs, but almost. She staggered heavily and fell, wobbled, had no pain sensation in them, etc. We would carry her outside, wrap a towel under belly near her hips and help her stand while she went potty. She completely recovered. She was in a lot of pain the first few days until the swelling went down. We were told if she wasn't doing better in a few days, it was surgery or put her down, because of her extreme pain. Oh, and our vet couldn't do the surgery because of how complex it was. We had to go to MSU and were told it would cost thousands of dollars. Thank goodness she recovered!!

I am so sorry to hear this! We have a mini-Doxie and I know how prone they are to back problems.
You may want to look at the forum here: http://www.dachshund.org/ there is also a link to health problems as well.
I would say go to another vet. That baby needs xrays and a compassionate vet to get thru this!

ETA I found this:

Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease -
To put it simply: the dachshund's back goes out for some reason. The dachsie goes down in the rear. It can't walk. Sometimes, it loses bowel and bladder control. Most times, surgery is needed to repair the disks which have been damaged. Sometimes, surgery works. Sometimes, surgery doesn't. Many times, the dachshund is confined to a doggie wheelchair.

There are many reasons a dachshund can develop disk disease: genetics, moving the wrong way, jumping on/off furniture, falling......Each dachshund is different, just as each dachshund's treatment and recovery is different. Just because a dachshund goes down in its back doesn't mean its life has to end. Dachshunds can and do live life to the fullest regardless of disability.

And this link: http://bajaokla.com/dachback/ very good info here!​

Last edited:
this may sound silly, but we used to have a chiropractor in town that was very good about helping out. I know he worked on Doxies. All they can do is say no if you call and ask? It sure would beat surgery and tons cheaper.

If I were your daughter, I would call the local animal shelter. They are generally very "tight" with the vets in the area and may have some helpful advice on who is the best, least expensive, and the most likely to take payment plans.

Plus...there is a slight chance they may have the skinny on some little known programs for people like your daughter that are wonderful-consciencious pet owners that need a bit of help paying for emergency vet bills such as this.

Just a thought....and sending a few prayers your way....

Michele in MN

I have 3 standard dachshunds. A smooth, a wire and a long haired. I have bred and shown smooths for over 40 years. The smooth is almost 13 and has had back problems off and on. The breeders will tell you a few things. Total crate rest. 81 mg aspirin and 250mg of vitamin C. Give the vitamin C at least once a day as a preventative. You can give more to her/him 2 or 3 times a day right now. The same with the aspirin. Also, the dog's weight is the most important aspect. So many dachshunds are over weight and this puts too much strain on their backs. I'd be curious as to the weight of your daughter's dog. If it's a female she should weigh 19-26 pounds. A male can go a bit more. Surgery is a last resort. Only after you try these things would I consider surgery. Also when the dog has to go potty while it's down, use a towel to support the hind end. Stay away from stairs at all times and be careful picking the dog up when it's better. Support the hind end and discourage the children from ever picking up the dog.

If it's a female she should weigh 19-26 pounds.

Is this a standard or a mini? If it's a mini, it shouldn't weigh anywhere near that much.​

Quote:
Is this a standard or a mini? If it's a mini, it shouldn't weigh anywhere near that much.

She is supposed to be a mini, we got her from Freecycle, She weighed 11.6 yesterday. My daughter called the vet and is going to go get some pain meds and an anti-inflamatory med for her. I cannot get her to eat this morning, she drank just a bit.

Back
Top Bottom