Sad Update

Airilith

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
I thought I should post this because (a) lots of people helped me out when my lil chickie got sick, and (b) no one else would really understand what I'm going through.

In the middle of November I posted that one of my chicks from Ideal was sick. After a month in quarantine I though she had finally made a turn in the right direction. She was eating and slowly gaining weight back. I re-introduced her to the flock with out any problems. Then a few weeks later she started getting lethargic and she stopped gaining weight. I did everything I could think of for her today. Yesterday she was doing worse than ever, and today she was no better. She would barely open her eyes, and for the few minutes that she did she would do nothing but chirp. I put the other 6 outside for the 2 hours of usual playtime, and decided that maybe some fresh air would be good for the lil one. After 15 minutes in the draftfree coop, she was worse than ever. I brought her back inside asap and she wouldn't open her eyes, stand up or hold her wings against her side. It was the toughest decision I've ever had to make, but I decided it was time. She was obviously miserable. So I did the deed.

And I'm still wondering if I made the right decision. I know I did, but there's still that little part of me thinking 'what if.' But after almost two months she should have been on the rebound. It's just that having her in the house, and sitting with her watching tv. You really bond with them, you know? Everytime I'd pick her up she would fly up to my shoulder and nuzzle into my neck. And to have to do that to her, well it just hurts.

She definitely made a mark on my heart, and I miss her dearly.

Thanks for understanding.

Oh I am so sorry!!
hugs.gif

My sincere sympathies to you in this sad time. Bless you for being the good mother hen you were for your feathered girl. She is at rest, take comfort knowing she is not suffering any more.

hugs.gif

It sounds like you did all you could have for the chick and you did make the best decision. It never is an easy choice. But it shows what a good mother you are and how caring you are to try and help.

I'm so sorry. It is so difficult when you have an ill chicken that you've taken so much time caring for. It makes you even closer to them. I know you did what was right for your chick, and although it hurts, you did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom