Sad :(

Daisgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Hi all.

I am a new comer to duck hatching and I think I am beginning to wish I hadnt! I didnt think it would be so stressful and that I would obsess about it so much!

I have a mix of Magpie & Buff Orpington eggs on day 26.5 and things are going very slow to say the least. I am struggling to get the humidity up in the incubator (polystyrene foam one).

the temp has been constant throughout. I had one of the buffs pip into the wrong end on day 25 - well made a small whole through the shell but the membrane was in tact. on candling I could see no movement.

I read up everything I could find about it and some said leave it alone others say help. Finally this morning I pulled a tiny bit of shell off and the little bit of membrane and a tiny little beak pushed out of the whole as if gasping for air.

I damped kitchen roll and put it back in the incubator. I have just checked it before coming to work and whilst the whole appeared a little bigger, there is most definitely no movement and I think he has died. I don't know if it was me that did this, although the shell i removed was small and hanging off and there were no veins in the membrane and no blood. Did i leave it too long to help maybe?

I have 7 other eggs in the incubator and some havent pipped but have movement. I have convinced myself that as it is day 27 (technically this evening) that all are going to die!

I have a feeling this is going to be my first and last attempt LOL!

Hatching is tough. I don't hatch, myself, but there are some very helpful people at

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594278/thread-formerly-known-as-hatch-day-is-today/38570

I do know it can take 28 or more days for the ducklings to hatch.

There is also good information here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

How about you post on the hatch day thread, and in the meantime look over the incubation guide - it ought to apply very much to your project.

Prayers.

I know how you feel! My ducks are on day 26 and all I see is rocking. I've had bad luck with hatching before and im worried they wont make it out of the egg!

Aww that's so sad
sad.png

I hate when I get stuck into something and you get so excited but it never works out...

well I can only help you by wishing you luck!

so sorry,
Phoebe

Thank you Amiga. I will take a look at the threads for sure.

Oh Jen - I never thought it would be all thought consuming! It is all I am thinking about. Should have done this... should I not have done that ...

After a first time bad hatch where nothing came out of it in the end, I was feeling quite proud that 8 out of 12 eggs made it to lock down! Now I am just a bag of nerves lol!

When I left for work this morning a made a tiny hole in two of the eggs as I read that this can help if eggs are taking a bit long as it ensures the ducking doesnt suffocate.

I was too nervous to do them all! One egg was a bit wiggly and i could hear clicking in it and the other had looked as if it was trying to internally pip (and had been the same for two days. When i tapped the end, the beak shot through into the air cell so I am wondering if it was encouraged by the tapping - or am I just being a tad sentimental :)

I can't wait to go home and see if anything has changed :$

Good luck with your hatching too - how many have you got in?

Thank you Phoebe

I want to get excited about the rest but too nervous to! I will keep you all posted though.

x

I'm impressed that you can bring yourself to go to work! I'm sure I'd be taking a sick day or burning vacation. I have nothing to offer but crossed fingers for you. I hope all turns out well.

Thank you all.

i needed to go to work to make sure my hands werent constantly in the incubator fiddling lol!

I am hoping to see some sort of progression when I get home
fl.gif

In an ideal world the little one that pipped the wrong end will only have been exhausted and will be ok - but in my heart I think I know he was gone and will remove him when I get home.

I hope to have a bit better news tomorrow.

It has been a massive help being on here with like minded people though. I think my colleagues in work think i am nuts (or maybe just a little bit quackers!)

xx

Back
Top Bottom