Sad :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Daisgirl, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Daisgirl

Daisgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Hi all.

I am a new comer to duck hatching and I think I am beginning to wish I hadnt! I didnt think it would be so stressful and that I would obsess about it so much!

I have a mix of Magpie & Buff Orpington eggs on day 26.5 and things are going very slow to say the least. I am struggling to get the humidity up in the incubator (polystyrene foam one).

the temp has been constant throughout. I had one of the buffs pip into the wrong end on day 25 - well made a small whole through the shell but the membrane was in tact. on candling I could see no movement.

I read up everything I could find about it and some said leave it alone others say help. Finally this morning I pulled a tiny bit of shell off and the little bit of membrane and a tiny little beak pushed out of the whole as if gasping for air.

I damped kitchen roll and put it back in the incubator. I have just checked it before coming to work and whilst the whole appeared a little bigger, there is most definitely no movement and I think he has died. I don't know if it was me that did this, although the shell i removed was small and hanging off and there were no veins in the membrane and no blood. Did i leave it too long to help maybe?

I have 7 other eggs in the incubator and some havent pipped but have movement. I have convinced myself that as it is day 27 (technically this evening) that all are going to die!

I have a feeling this is going to be my first and last attempt LOL!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hatching is tough. I don't hatch, myself, but there are some very helpful people at

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594278/thread-formerly-known-as-hatch-day-is-today/38570

I do know it can take 28 or more days for the ducklings to hatch.

There is also good information here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

How about you post on the hatch day thread, and in the meantime look over the incubation guide - it ought to apply very much to your project.

Prayers.

3. JenandHerQuails

JenandHerQuails Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    I know how you feel! My ducks are on day 26 and all I see is rocking. I've had bad luck with hatching before and im worried they wont make it out of the egg!

4. SweetLilChicken

SweetLilChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Australia, Perth WA
    Aww that's so sad [​IMG]

I hate when I get stuck into something and you get so excited but it never works out...

well I can only help you by wishing you luck!

so sorry,
    Phoebe

5. Daisgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you Amiga. I will take a look at the threads for sure.

Oh Jen - I never thought it would be all thought consuming! It is all I am thinking about. Should have done this... should I not have done that ...

After a first time bad hatch where nothing came out of it in the end, I was feeling quite proud that 8 out of 12 eggs made it to lock down! Now I am just a bag of nerves lol!

When I left for work this morning a made a tiny hole in two of the eggs as I read that this can help if eggs are taking a bit long as it ensures the ducking doesnt suffocate.

I was too nervous to do them all! One egg was a bit wiggly and i could hear clicking in it and the other had looked as if it was trying to internally pip (and had been the same for two days. When i tapped the end, the beak shot through into the air cell so I am wondering if it was encouraged by the tapping - or am I just being a tad sentimental :)

I can't wait to go home and see if anything has changed :$

Good luck with your hatching too - how many have you got in?

6. Daisgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you Phoebe

I want to get excited about the rest but too nervous to! I will keep you all posted though.

x

7. stonecoldchey

stonecoldchey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    SE Oklahoma
    I hope all goes well with the rest of your eggs.[​IMG]

8. HRHDi

HRHDi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Fairfax, VT
    I'm impressed that you can bring yourself to go to work! I'm sure I'd be taking a sick day or burning vacation. I have nothing to offer but crossed fingers for you. I hope all turns out well.

9. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Fingers crossed your other babies will hatch out healthy and happy. Keep us updated!

10. Daisgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you all.

i needed to go to work to make sure my hands werent constantly in the incubator fiddling lol!

I am hoping to see some sort of progression when I get home [​IMG]

In an ideal world the little one that pipped the wrong end will only have been exhausted and will be ok - but in my heart I think I know he was gone and will remove him when I get home.

I hope to have a bit better news tomorrow.

It has been a massive help being on here with like minded people though. I think my colleagues in work think i am nuts (or maybe just a little bit quackers!)

xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by