1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sadly, I am stupid

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Beau coop, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Count me among the people in denial saying ...but i haven't had a problem......... YET

Neither had i, until this morning when a hawk was in my run and a bird was missing, feathers strewn about in chunks.

1 1/2 yrs of raising birds without a problem lulled me into complacency. The end of my run was open a little bit. This morning I had terrorized birds minus one. I actual SAW this hawk in the run.

I have been to tractor supply and valu today for bird netting- no luck. Does anyone know where I can get it off the shelf? I want it now, I don't want to order it. Suggestions?

PS: I stopped at the house at the top of the street who raise birds to warn them of a hawk with a new found taste for chicken- she was living in Egpyt with me and said... but our run is high and we've never had a problem.

Now where did I leave that paddle?

2. lowdollar434

lowdollar434 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Claremore
    Sorry about you birds. Have you checked Lowe's or home depot.

3. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    its late in the year, my co-op wouldnt be getting any more in now. but maybe check garden stores, they might have some left over. otherwise youre gonna have to order it. make sure you ask, some places do "pack a ways" where the garden stuff is in the back somewhere waiting for next spring... but on the other hand i think i heard someone post that hawks can just go thru bird netting?

thats sad and funny your nieghbor says her run is high. maybe you should point out that other birds fly better than chickens. LOL.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I always get the deer netting at Lowes and it comes doubled over and I leave it like that. We have used that for years with MANY hawks around and they have not gotten through it.

5. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    For an emergency fix, use fishing line to make a web over the open part of your run. Hang a few old CD's on it. Hawks can't land on it to find a way in, and don't like the shiny moving discs or getting tangled in it. Also, it "sings" in the wind, and the sound makes the hawks uneasy too. I have had it over half of my yard all summer...we have owls and hawks in the area. I have seen them watching my chickens, but none have braved the fishing line.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Bought my bird netting from the hardware store.

7. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    I too use the fishing line to create a web over my run and have not had a problem. My BIL told me that restaurant owners in the FL Keys do that to keep birds away from outdoor dining. I will add the CD's as well.

8. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Thanks all. The fishing line sounds like a good idea. Tractor supply had the deer fencing- but she said it was orange? That sounds like snow fencing.

I came home from work about 7 last night and DH had let them out to range. I was panicked and immediately started counting heads. Recount- still one missing. Oh no! Then the little chick came running out from under the deck. Thank goodness! I immediately lured them back into the run with a treat.

Is this the end of free ranging?

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i live in cny and understand about the predators.. we free range about an hour in the morning where the dog and i sit and have coffee.. then lure them back into the run with a treat.. then when dh gets home we have chicken tv time after dinner for more free ranging then another treat.. i think that is enough to satisfy their need to eat all my grass and purple clover... we covered the top of our run with chicken wire.. and at night they are closed up in fort knox so coyotes, foxes, owls, racoons. and other predators can't get them

10. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I just finished covering my run. Used tarps for rain/snow as well as hopefully hawk protection.

Can hawks come through a heavy duty tarp? OMG, it'slike having toddlers all over again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by