Sadly I have a roo

I think some people are more concerned about how the roo acts toward people. There is a lot of good information about preventing rooster aggression. If a young rooster feels free to peck at you now, there is a potential for him to get worse (when the hormones really kick in). I started researching this because one of my sexed EE pullets was a boy, and like you, I can't eat him and hope to give him a decent life, whether with us or with someone else. Roosters that attack people get eaten, so I've been trying to keep my young'un respectful. Dealing with Roosters - Roo Behavior was a good article.

I don't know that there's much you can do about their behavior toward hens. Seems to be genetic. Hope we both get lucky and have gentlemen roosters-to-be! Best wishes.

We don't eat our chickens either, when our girls don't lay eggs anymore, they retire and live out their lives in peace. But, most of our friends think we are crazy, especially the ones that raise their own meat. Are you vegetarian, by any chance?

Sonja Twombly
lallybrochfarm.blogspot.com

Wow, he's beautiful!!
love.gif
Hopefully you can keep him, I've had roosters who are very sweet and docile toward then hens and people (which is more than I can say for the Ameraucanas)
roll.png

I am not a vegetarian, sadly, and i hate myself for it. I personally love the taste of meat and i know we need meat for a nutritional diet, but i hate eating the poor animals.

He is very beautiful (or handsome), he is a tetra tints. he has a horizontal line on his back the color of honey. Of course, he is leader in the pecking order. We also have a pullet very high up and very friendly. when i go out, i bring a towel or a sweater, because she loves to roost on my arm!!! Her name is Dulce, it means sweet in spanish!!

Back to my cockerel, half of my family wants to call him Hank, and half wants Henry, because he was formerly Henrietta.

How come you don't want to keep a rooster? I love having roos around. Yes, I've had a few that turned out to be nasty later on, but I've also had so many amazing roosters who were true gentlemen to their ladies. I also love the crowing they make.

I wouldn't get too upset over it. If he is your only rooster, you should not have any issues with him bullying the hens. Just cuddle him as much as you can and hopefully he'll turn out to be a well adgjusted, friendly rooster!

Henry is cute! I think he'll be fine. The biting or pecking when you try to pick him up is normal for any chicken...even my very friendly (on the ground) pullets will peck at me AT FIRST when I go to pick them up. It's just a matter of ignoring that "hey, don't pick me up!" peck and do it anyway. If you drop or back off after that peck, they've won that hand. You have to win every time.

You'll enjoy having a little roo. I love my little Silkie man. He's kind of standoffish, but that is good...I'd not want him to be a cuddly teddy bear. He is already very good at keeping an eye on his little flock of nine girls, and I love his soft little crow LOL!

thank you everyone. your posts are very reassuring. i will tell you how he turns out.

Well, today we sent him away! D= I am the only one in my family who felt horrible. the chances of him not going to the slaughterhouse are very slim. Still, every night i will pray that he finds a home. Thank you every one for all of your posts, i really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom