Safe Ant Killer

I use Hot Shot Ant and Roach spray. It only lasts a day, but my girls are fine with it. Costs about $3 at the Family Dollar store. It also has a germicide. Side benefit. I even spray the food with it when they raid my meal worms in the feeder. Has not had any bad effects on my girls. They seem to like the lemon scented, but both are good. Just remember to spray the feeding area about 5 minutes before feeding, and the ants stay away for the day.

Years ago, I used cornstarch. Just sprinkled it around the area I saw the carpenter ants and wanted them gone. Worked like a charm. To the best of my knowledge, no other animals were hurt.

I have some large ant hills in various places on the property. Mowing over them, ducks, chickens, and/or dogs seems to keep the populations out of the way. Not sure what type of ants they are - large with half red and half black bodies.

have you tried guineas? they are good at keeping ticks away, they might be good at keeping ants away as well.
My guineas leave the fire ants alone. Both the chickens and guineas do to my endless annoyance. I can’t give the ants bait as the guineas can’t be confined while the bait is taken so I’m out of luck as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom