Safe coop heating

redidbull

Hatching
Jun 17, 2019
Southwest Connecticut
Over the years with our 6 chickens we never heated the coop. We are down to 1 now and I was considering putting some type of heating thinking the flock warms together but now she is alone. I was going to bring her in during the winter but rally do not have a spot for her. I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX9K1JI/?tag=backy-20 Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

I have never had to heat my coops, best suggestion would be to find her a few friends.

But to advise you would need to know what area of the country you live in and how your coop is set up. even the best set up ones if you add electricity in them can have fires or the chickens can peck at the cords and end up electrocuting themselves. Are you sure it is not covered in teflon that is toxic to chickens?

Sorry you have lost nearly all your hens!

Most places don’t need heat, but tell us generally where you are located, the types of winters and coop description. These will help with advice.

Are you planning to continue to keep chickens? Are you going to get new chickens in the spring?

If you are open to getting her some companions, one suggestion is to buy started pullets. Most hatcheries sell them. For example, the last time I looked in Meyer Hatchery site, the started pullets were approx $15 each. Shipping can add up, but you get guaranteed female, many breeds to choose from, and they will begin to lay within a few weeks of arrival. Usually you have to order them ahead of time if you want a particular breed. Other hatcheries do this same thing, so you should have some choices if that is an avenue you are interested in.

Over the years with our 6 chickens we never heated the coop. We are down to 1 now and I was considering putting some type of heating thinking the flock warms together but now she is alone. I was going to bring her in during the winter but rally do not have a spot for her. I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX9K1JI/?tag=backy-20 Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim
That would be a pretty safe option, depending on how you ran power to it.
But....chicken don't warm each other, or the coop.
They need to be dry and out of any strong winds, but still need good ventilation.
She may be 'happier' and thus healthier with a companion.

@redidbull Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-30_17-24-8.png

Morning all and thank you. I worked last night so wasn't able to reply. I am in SWCT. Weather is a roll of the dice here. Sometime cold winters sometimes not. It has been a bad year for pets for us. We lost 3 chickens and our pup has cancer and kidney disease. We are heading in to retirement in the next couple years and do not want to get any more pets for a time until we decided what we are doing. I do not want to bring her in because of fear of rodents. We already struggle at times with mice and don't want them to have a meal invite. I will take a pic of the coop set up later. Thanks again. Jim

Back
Top Bottom