Safe Drinking Water

JayBird+16

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Fitzwilliam, NH
I'm not sure where to ask this question, but... I have a friend who won't drink the water at my house because I have chickens. She says she knows "a lot" of people who have gotten sick from chicken-poop contaminated wells. I've had chickens for 10 years and have never heard anything like that before. Is this a real thing? How would chicken poop get in my well water?

I think your friend is just an anti-chicken person
roll.png
. I've never heard of such a thing, I've had chickens for about 5 years and I've never come across anything like it.

Can she tell you what people and where they got there information? Or if they had anything happen to them?

Last edited:
I think your friend is just an anti-chicken person
roll.png
. I've never heard of such a thing, I've had chickens for about 5 years and I've never come across anything like it.

Can she tell you what people and where they got there information?
True, either that or just plain ignorance.

If chicken poop can get in your water, then wild bird poop is already in all wells.

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but... I have a friend who won't drink the water at my house because I have chickens. She says she knows "a lot" of people who have gotten sick from chicken-poop contaminated wells. I've had chickens for 10 years and have never heard anything like that before. Is this a real thing? How would chicken poop get in my well water?
You've had chickens for 10 years....is this a new 'friend'?
I suppose... if you had A LOT of chickens.... and they were penned directly over your 10 foot deep well...and you never cleaned up any of the poops..... you might have an issue.

I sup
I have no idea where her information is coming from! She can never seem to remember who she heard it from!
Oh..... one of those.

Thanks for your thoughts on this question. This "friend" is actually my mother-in-law who is "appalled" by our enormous flock and thinks I've turned her son into a backwoods-redneck. We have 58 birds free ranging on 2.5 acres, they live in an adorable coop, painted to match our house, surrounded by veggie gardens. Our yard is not dirty, it doesn't smell like chicken poop, the coop is not situated above our well. You all nailed it when you asked if she was one of "those people." Boy is she ever! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom