Safe egg?

chickndays

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Is this egg on the bottom safe to eat? I've noticed eggs like this occurring more lately (must be from one hen) where it's almost vein-y and a little bulkier but still a normal egg shape. Is this a prelude to lash egg? All hens seem normal and all other eggs are normal.

Attachments

• 20240319_175419.jpg
    20240319_175419.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 35
Is this egg on the bottom safe to eat? I've noticed eggs like this occurring more lately (must be from one hen) where it's almost vein-y and a little bulkier but still a normal egg shape. Is this a prelude to lash egg? All hens seem normal and all other eggs are normal.
Do you keep oyster shell available? Are the shells thin?

Have you washed this egg?
Have you tried candling it?
What do those streaks look like on the inside of the shell?
Maybe peel the membrane off the inside for a better look.

To me, it just looks like the egg has an oddly-shaped shell. That happens sometimes, and it does not always indicate a problem. Sometimes it's just a weird thing that happens.

If you crack it open and the insides look normal, I would not hesitate to cook it and eat it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
This article talks about many odd things that can happen with eggs. Several of them look a bit like yours.

Have you washed this egg?
Have you tried candling it?
What do those streaks look like on the inside of the shell?
Maybe peel the membrane off the inside for a better look.
I haven't done either of those yet. I guess I will try to crack it carefully and take a look inside. I had tossed out the previous weird ones, but they were probably fine too. Oh well.

Cracked egg and inside looked normal so I used it. Imperfections seemed only to be on the outside. I did notice the shell was thin though.

Back
Top Bottom