Safe eggs?

Flowerpott

Songster
Aug 12, 2019
Kerrville texas
So on thursday my hen who had laid her very first egg the day prior got attacked by our dog :(
But she seems to be doing just fine! Her shock lasted maybe 2 hours. And her wounds are actually healing nicely. (Some of you may have helped me in my earlier post about it all when it happened.)
Well this girl is still laying eggs! I honestly thought she was a goner. We had the talk with our children to be ready for her to pass. And to be honest we're only on day 4 so I still don't have my Hope's completely up for her to survive because her wound does have a smell and I'm not able to get her antibiotics. But she is being a normal chicken! You would never know unless you're looking at her injury.

To get to my point... are her eggs safe to eat? Should we maybe hold off for awhile?
And does the fact she is still laying show that she is actually going to be ok?

I know this is difficult to answer considering you aren't able to see for yourself. But maybe you've dealt with similar?

So on thursday my hen who had laid her very first egg the day prior got attacked by our dog :(
But she seems to be doing just fine! Her shock lasted maybe 2 hours. And her wounds are actually healing nicely. (Some of you may have helped me in my earlier post about it all when it happened.)
Well this girl is still laying eggs! I honestly thought she was a goner. We had the talk with our children to be ready for her to pass. And to be honest we're only on day 4 so I still don't have my Hope's completely up for her to survive because her wound does have a smell and I'm not able to get her antibiotics. But she is being a normal chicken! You would never know unless you're looking at her injury.

To get to my point... are her eggs safe to eat? Should we maybe hold off for awhile?
And does the fact she is still laying show that she is actually going to be ok?

I know this is difficult to answer considering you aren't able to see for yourself. But maybe you've dealt with similar?
Could we get a screenshot of your dog breed and the hens wound please?

My dog is a mutt. Shes a medium sized black dog.. kind of looks like a small lab if you would. I will get photos of the wounds in a few moments. My phone needs to charge a little bit.

I'd say so, a seriously sick/stressed bird doesn't lay.

That's what I was thinking. All the information I can find online basically says they usually stop laying for a good period of time after things like this. The day it happened she busted an egg inside and expelled the contents and then the soft shelled egg. That was technically her second egg.

This girl is blowing me away though. I thought she was dead when I found her. She was so lifeless and her head was so twisted and I almost left her for my husband to come home and clean up. But I noticed her breathing so I ran to her ready for her to pass at any moment.
She truly is a fighter. And shes become my best friend. Everytime I go outside she hops into my arma for cuddles. Before it was a chase to get her.
Going to change her name to foghorn! She is a leghorn after all and her personality is showing to be tough as hell!

General principles:
--stressed hen, eggs are safe to eat
--injured hen, eggs are safe to eat
--hen with parasites, eggs are safe to eat (things like worms in poop or lice on feathers don't affect egg safety)
--sick hen (illness caused by bacteria or virus), eggs usually safe but check specific illness
--hen taking medicine, check the specific medicine (some medicines affect the eggs, some don't.)

General principles:
--stressed hen, eggs are safe to eat
--injured hen, eggs are safe to eat
--hen with parasites, eggs are safe to eat (things like worms in poop or lice on feathers don't affect egg safety)
--sick hen (illness caused by bacteria or virus), eggs usually safe but check specific illness
--hen taking medicine, check the specific medicine (some medicines affect the eggs, some don't.)

Thank you! That's great information. I wouldn't of considered the meds until y'all said something. She isn't taking anything other then neosporin topically.
And she just laid another egg! These are my first eggs ever from my own hens so it's so exciting.

Back
Top Bottom