Safe Fly & Mosquito Repellent?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SilkieBantams, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Is there a safe repellent to repel both flies and mosquitos from the chicken coop?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Aren't aerosol sprays dangerous to chickens?

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    They can be. You need to research the ingredients and figure out whether it's bird safe or not. Many birds are particularly sensitive to air contaminants.

Fly control is pretty simple (unless you're talking about the biting/blood sucking variety); keep everything clean and dry.

Mosquitoes are a bit tougher because they're attracted by warmth and carbon dioxide (from exhalation). Some species are also attracted to light. It's hard to teach your chickens to be cold and hold their breath. [​IMG] MOST mosquitoes attack at night and the rest will tend to make their daylight strikes in cooler, shady areas. Other than keeping your birds in the sun all day, there's little you can do during daylight. However, if they've got a coop that they're in at night, there's no reason you can install regular bug screen (just like what's in your home windows) over vents to keep the little blood suckers out and give your chickens peace while they sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by