Safe for coop?

Craigboy53

Songster
Jan 19, 2020
Ailsa Craig, Ontario
Our coop has been empty for three weeks, and we have five leghorn chicks coming today. Before I put them out in the coop in a month, I would like to make sure there are no unwanted pests hanging out. I’ve read here about pyrethrins, but I would like to use a fogger, so I don’t have to crawl in the coop. The foggers I can find also have piperonylbutoxide in them. Is it safe to use this in the coop? It will be empty for at least a month.

I have never personally used a fogger but have used permethrin concentrate and thoroughly sprayed the inside of my coops everywhere, including every crack and crevice. I use a gallon sprayer with a wand to reach the hard to reach areas. I let it dry before I let the birds back in and it is safe for chicks. This is what I found, Piperonyl Butoxide is a synthetic derivative of benzodioxole and used as an insecticide synergist, Piperonyl Butoxide enhances the active properties of pyrethrin, pyrethroid. Personally I think it will be safe. Many sites say after you use the fogger to let it air out for awhile. The foggers I looked at had mixed reviews. Some pests come out more at night so setting one off in the evening might work best. Many of the reviews I read, used it for eliminating roaches. As far as permethrin you can get premixed.
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Safe for poultry

Attachments

• Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2