SAFE HOSES?

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
I was wondering if any of you consider the issues with garden hoses. Often hoses say (in dark letters) DO NOT DRINK FROM THIS HOSE. Is that anything any of you have considered? Being that we offer water in all forms (drinking, swimming and general clean up in their runs - which leave some puddles (that they ADORE!) should we focus on safe water drinking hoses or err on the side of sturdy hoses that withstand harsh winters (in my case NH)? I need a new hose, so am shopping.

I've wondered about this too, but I decided on the kind that once emptied of water shrink down so I can put them into a bucket and bring them inside overnight so they don't freeze. I can put 2 50' hoses in a 3 gal bucket and bring it inside.
My ducks are from ages 3 to 14 yrs old and they have never had any problems drinking water from these. My chickens are ages 4 up to 13 yrs. Goose 10.

Good idea Lydia. I will try that, as we get sub 0 temps here. I thought that perhaps they could go in the coop with the ducks, as I will be adding some heat to that. I also got one of those water defrosters from Amazon. I cannot imagine them going a single day without their bath!

Most warnings are to avoid getting sued from misuse, it's probably safe, we would have heard something if it wasn't. I have a potable water Rv hose on my spigot, just because it was the cheapest hose there was at big lots.

I use drinking water safe hoses for my ducks. Like the ones people use for RVs. They are often white, but I have some that aren't.

I also have some heated hoses for them that are drinking safe, for winter.

I don't know if it is actually a problem or not. I drank from a regular garden hose daily when I was a kid and I haven't died yet. But I'd rather be super safe with my quackers.

KalelAm, Where do you get "heated" drinking hoses?! I have one that can withstand temps up to 160 degrees but I don't (currently) have a outside spigot that has hot water.

And Lydia, I just searched for ones that are shrink down and came up empty handed.

Back
Top Bottom