Safe Plants??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Foster Reds, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Foster Reds

Foster Reds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    Hi There, Im brand new to BYC.. any suggestions on ornamental grasses that are safe for my RIR?? [​IMG]

2. Foster Reds

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    So I want to plant some kind of plant on the outside of our chicken coop that is safe for the chickens ... Any ideas??

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] TO THE BYC

You know Grapes work very well and we have talked about seasoning and grass in the window troughs. You know the 12"X8"X4' long and put hardware cloth over them so the kids cant get to the soil and pull it out and then keep it watered and the grass or herbs or flowers grow through the wire cloth and the kids keep it trimmed. Simple easy fun. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Foster Reds

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    Thanks for idea...

5. Foster Reds

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    Does anyone know of a list of safe flowers/herbs I can plant for my guys and gals??

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My chickens eat everything roots and all so I don't know how you can plant something specifially in reach of their pen. If you are talking about free range, then they will pick out what they like. The idea of letting it grow through hardware cloth is good. My chickens like all kinds of grass. They love alfalfa. It has deep roots and would work well growing through wire.

7. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Curious here as well. [​IMG]

Since the list of things they like is gianormous, is there a list somewhere of plants that chickens must NOT eat?

TIA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by