safe plants

tafflass

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Hi ,
I am going to be a complete beginner at raising chickens in about 3 weeks (waiting for coup) and want to know if my garden has safe plants. I am more concerned about the plant ( crocosmias ) but also wondering whether (heather) would be harmful. I have looked at a few sites but no mention of those two. I am really excited and just want to get things right before I get the girls home.

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
highfive.gif

I have at least a half-dozen species of plants on my property that I know to be toxic. But in all these years I've never known a chicken to eat any of them. Generally speaking poisonous plants taste bad so unless they are driven to doing by hunger they won't eat any plant that can harm them.

Now toxic stuff ground up in their feed, moldy grain, that sort of thing is another matter entirely. But generally speaking chickens will avoid plants that are poisonous to them.

Thats great news, thank you! 》just want it to be safe for them :) I dare say I will be asking a few more questions that seems daft to the experienced chicken owners. I am still trying to work out which chickens im going to get, any idea on this? Have been told that Warrens are the best layers ?

what about other garden veggies - like cucumber skins, lettuce etc? Are they safe for chickens to eat?

Generally speaking if it's safe for you to eat it then it's safe for them. If it's not safe for you to eat it then chances are the chickens won't eat it because it will taste bad. Chickens can eat a few things we cannot. Poison ivy eats me up, but my birds graze on it frequently without any ill effects at all.

Back
Top Bottom