Safe snacks...

cariboujaguar

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Mississippi
I have the following that I would like to feed to my flock... Plz let me know if it's safe for them...

Oatmeal (uncooked)
Mango's
rice crackers
cabbage
apples
turnips
califlower

Is apples okay? I heard they can be dangerous, i only been a chicken owner for 2 months though, but im out of feed right now and i do have apples, so is what i heard true or are they okay?

I heard apples are ok. The seeds are poisonous but I'm wondering how many they would have to eat to really do any harm. I know people who have free ranging chickens let them eat the apples that fall on the ground and I have thrown in whole apples.

Just be careful on the amount of treats till you get some food because I had a hen drop dead in February. The cause: too many treats. Her liver exploded from overeating fattening, non-chicken food.

Last edited:
Apple is OK, Although I wouldn't feed lots of fruit to chickens. The concern about apples is that the seeds contain ???? bad. (sorry my mind is drawing a blank right now). As long as you don't feed it to them regularly it is OK. I save granny smiths from my tree and feed the 4 hens 1 apple about once per week, seeds, stem and all.

Imp

Some fruit seeds, and apples are one I think, contain cynaid (spl). A very bad thing, however I agree just how much do they have to eat to be bad? I know I have eaten a seed or two and am here to tell you about it.....

Mine love grapes! I tried lettuce on them yesterday, they didn't care much for it. Though whatever the rooster picks up, the hens ALL chase him. And chaos ensues.........we all know how that works...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom