Safe snacks...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cariboujaguar, May 19, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have the following that I would like to feed to my flock... Plz let me know if it's safe for them...

Oatmeal (uncooked)
    Mango's
    rice crackers
    cabbage
    apples
    turnips
    califlower

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

All are OK.

Imp

3. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    if you can eat so can they

4. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Is apples okay? I heard they can be dangerous, i only been a chicken owner for 2 months though, but im out of feed right now and i do have apples, so is what i heard true or are they okay?

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I heard apples are ok. The seeds are poisonous but I'm wondering how many they would have to eat to really do any harm. I know people who have free ranging chickens let them eat the apples that fall on the ground and I have thrown in whole apples.

Just be careful on the amount of treats till you get some food because I had a hen drop dead in February. The cause: too many treats. Her liver exploded from overeating fattening, non-chicken food.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Apple is OK, Although I wouldn't feed lots of fruit to chickens. The concern about apples is that the seeds contain ???? bad. (sorry my mind is drawing a blank right now). As long as you don't feed it to them regularly it is OK. I save granny smiths from my tree and feed the 4 hens 1 apple about once per week, seeds, stem and all.

Imp

7. KungPao

KungPao Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Milwaukie, OR
    apples are our chickens favorite treat. Grapes would be a close second.

8. mailmamm

mailmamm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Rainier WA
    Some fruit seeds, and apples are one I think, contain cynaid (spl). A very bad thing, however I agree just how much do they have to eat to be bad? I know I have eaten a seed or two and am here to tell you about it.....

9. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Mine love grapes! I tried lettuce on them yesterday, they didn't care much for it. Though whatever the rooster picks up, the hens ALL chase him. And chaos ensues.........we all know how that works... [​IMG]

10. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by